Sunday, August 29, 2010

SALAD DAYS (AND A TINY, MYSTERIOUS PURPLE FROG)!

Best Blog Tips

Our dinner salad last night-- heavy on the home-grown tomatoes!

Friday evening I came home from work (my "day job"-- managing a small branch of our island library system) and checked our little garden for anything that needed picking. Tomato bonanza!  (And some basil, as you can see.) We love the "Black Cherry" tomatoes that you can see nestled among the red ones!


I found an interesting-looking tiny purple frog sitting under a basil plant!  (Or is it some kind of little toad?  I don't know much about amphibians, I'm afraid!)  We have other tiny frogs that we see often on the deck, but they are bright green.  These pics don't do it justice (it was evening when I took these):



I also picked a little lettuce and mesclun for my solo dinner salad. (DH was off in Vancouver to see his youngest son's new Celtic band play.)


For lunch yesterday, DH back home, we had vegan BLT sandwiches on Brian's white bread (an occasional treat!), toasted .  The "bacon" part was provided by a generous sprinkling of my Homemade Smoky Veggie Bacon Salt-- recipe on my blog here.  The low-fat (and very tasty!) vegan mayo recipe is here . (There's also a Hemp Milk Vegan Mayonnaise.) Yum!


Last night we simply had salad and Denman Island corn (picked that day) for dinner:



I'm keeping things pretty simple these days, due to The Book!  BTW, if you're looking for tasty low-fat vegan salad dressing recipes, here are some posted on my blog:

Spicy Vinaigrette

Dijon Maple Balsamic Dressing

Pomegranate Molasses Dressing #2



Creamy Orange Vinaigrette

Creamy Pear-Based Vinaigrette (Tarragon Version)


Oil-Free Creamy Bean-Based "Caesar" Dressing
 


Low-Fat (or No-Fat) Creamy Pear-Based Vinaigrette
 
















Happy Salad Days!


4 comments:

The Atheist Cartographer said...

It looks like you probably have a mottled color variation of the Pacific Tree Frog! If the green ones you've seen are about the same size, then they're probably the same species too.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, Jaya! I had never seen one like this before!

Vic Robinson said...

Wholly crap! I am so afraid of frogs! Hahaha!

Jacklyn said...

Not fair! I want frogs in my garden too! All I ever get are lizards and spiders : /