Thursday, May 24, 2007

A LOVELY SPRING SALAD

Best Blog Tips

I haven't been blogging much lately-- I'm still playing catch up on emails, deadlines, and housework! Today I also have a migraine-- not a really bad one, but it hasn't gone away. (I don't get them much anymore-- one of the perks of menopause!) So, I wasn't very ambitious today. But I made a salad that we enjoyed very much, and thought I would share with you. I wanted to make a salad similar to one we tried at New Seasons Market in Portland OR, but, wouldn't you know, I had no peas in the freezer, and peas were the main ingredient! So, I improvised, and it was yummy!

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S SNOW PEA, ROMANO BEAN, AND MUSHROOM SALAD WITH TARRAGON AND RADISHES (WW CORE PLAN COMPATIBLE)
Servings: 6

10 oz frozen sliced green Romano beans, thawed in hot water and drained (or fresh, cooked til crisp-tender)
4 oz snow peas, trimmed and cut into wide slices
4 oz cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 large radishes, washed and very thinly sliced
5 green onions, trimmed and chopped
1 tsp dried tarragon
Dressing:
1 cup Oil Substitute for Salad Dressings (see below) OR aquafaba
1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt

Mix together the salad ingredients in a medium salad bowl. Whisk or shake the Dressing ingredients together. Pour the Dressing over the salad and mix well. Let the salad stand at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving, or refrigerate for several hours and let it come to room temperature before serving.

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving):
264.5 calories; 33% calories from fat; 10.1g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 340.7mg sodium; 1077.8mg potassium; 42.3g carbohydrates; 14.5g fiber; 1.6g sugar; 27.8g net carbs; 10.0g protein; 5.3 points.

Printable Recipe

Bryanna's Fat-Free Oil Substitute for Salad Dressings
Yield: 1 cup
Use this simple mixture in place of oil in salad dressing recipes. Unlike plain juice or water, it will help the dressing stick to the greens. This recipe is easily multiplied. NOTE: Other options instead of this mixture-- cooking liquid from cooking chickpeas or white beans.

1 cup water
1 tablespoon low-sodium vegetarian broth powder
2 teaspoons cornstarch (organic variety is available)

Whisk the broth powder and starch into the cold water in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
Microwave Option: In a microwave-safe pitcher or bowl with room to bubble up (4-cup capacity), whisk the ingredients together.  Microwave on High for 1 minute.  Whisk and repeat twice, or until the mixture is thickened and clear.

Use immediately in a salad dressing, or store in a covered jar and refrigerate.

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per cup):
45.3 calories; 0% calories from fat; 0.0g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 30.2mg sodium; 0.2mg potassium; 10.9g carbohydrates; 1.0g fiber; 0.0g sugar; 9.8g net carbs; 0.5g protein; 0.7 points.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hopw you feel better soon !

Anonymous said...

I love your delicious recipe, could we publish it on our
Daily Recipe Blog?

We have every day a new recipe for: General recipes, Breakfast, Low Carb, Low Fat, Desert...
It would be so great to add yours!

http://daily-cook-book.blogspot.com

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Daily new, thanks for stopping by! Yes, you can reproduce the recipe-- if you would just give me credit and add my blog address please.

Dazy said...

This recipe is really going to keep me busy in the kitchen with all its glamor. My kids would just hug me for this.

moo moo said...

I've lately been lamenting that I have to add oil to my lemon-balsamic-herb-garlic vinaigrette but did not consider the possibility of an oil substitute. Can't wait to try it!