Wednesday, May 2, 2007

SOME PHOTOS OF MY EXPERIENCE AT VEG AWAKENING 2007

Best Blog Tips This is just photos, all by the extraordinary New York food photographer, Linda Long, who must have taken thousands of photos and just never stopped!


Linda Long

This is just a few, because it takes me a while to edit and resize all the photos for the blog, and I'm computer-weary this week. I'll be posting more pics of the chefs, the food, the audience, the students, etc., very soon!

For a review of the 2007 conference and more photos, check out the April 15, 2007 post at this website.


The Chefs (I took off my chef jacket too soon!): Back row, L to R is Tal Ronnen, Chad Sarno, Ian Brandt, Kevin Dunn, Eric Tucker, and Sualua Tupolo. Front L to R is Me, Cathi DiCocco, and Fran Costigan

Some of the vegan Peruvian dishes I made in my demo :

Trigo (a spicy wheat dish; recipe here)

Causa, a potato terrine (Update: recipe in my book World Vegan Feast)

Mazzamora Morada (Purple Corn Pudding) and Alfajore (sweet pastry)  (Update: recipe in my book World Vegan Feast)


In the kitchen with Corey, one of my wonderful student chef assistants-- Corey had a real epiphany about vegetarian cuisine!


Being introduced by organizer Chef Kevin Dunn before my demo


Cooking in the demo


Wonderful Hospitality Department Program Director Randy Sahajdack thanking Kevin for all of his work.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your food looks and sounds AMAZING!!
This looks like a great conference! Congratulations
on your presentations.

Anonymous said...

great photos!

the food looks good!

urban vegan said...

That potato terrine looks more French than Peruvian...whatever it is, I want to try it.

I made your vegetable bread pudding for dinenr last week. We loved it. It's now officially on my "old standby "list. Thanks!

Dori said...

Thanks so much for sharing about the conference. I am amazed by all I see going on in the Seattle and surrounding area of the world, surely I would have a hard time finding a meat eater up there by seeing the wealth of veg blogs! Sometimes I feel fo far from "veg" civilization in the middle of pesticide fields, cow, pig, and chicken factory farms. The little farmer is almost extinct here unless they have turned towards factory farming... "it's the only way one can make a living today" one farmer I know says.

I'm awake down here though and secretly turning a whole generation of highschoolers in the middle of the "heartland" into vegs!

spiceislandvegan said...

Hi Bryanna,

That's the best Causa you've ever done! Beautiful! The pictures sure look great. The Chefs all look so enlightened and happy! I love vegan chefs!

SIV

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, all! SIV, we did smaller terrines in those long, enameled-cast-iron, covered orange ceramic terrine pans (here's a picture)
http://www.creativecookware.com/cast-iron_terrine.htm

THey are expensive pans, but the school had lots of them!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Dori, there aren't as many vegetarians out here as it looks like, but alot of "almost" or "occasional" vegetarians!

I am going to be addressing a high school class about veganism, in Whitehorse, Yukon Territories in September! Quite a challenge!

Anonymous said...

I wish we had a good, encouraging word for the "almost vegetarians." Whenever I talk to someone like that, they simply say they are "trying to eat less meat" or "trying to eat healthier." (One is tempted to put on a Yoda voice and say, "There is no try... there is only do.") I once thought "veg-conscious" would do, but it isn't quite descriptive enough. Maybe "veg-aware?"

Anonymous said...

"Veg-aware" ! I love that :)

Bryanna, what wonderful creations ! Works of art, really.

...And, you are beautiful <3

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thank you, Gaia!