Monday, October 27, 2008

VEGAN MOFO: DOWN THE HOME STRETCH-- SOME PHOTOS AND A NEW SALAD DRESSING

Best Blog Tips
Romaine lettuce and chard salad with homemade garlic croutons, and marinated artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes, with the new dressing below.


What is Vegan MoFo? Click here to find out!

This is a quickie blog post! Last night I made a variation on my vinaigrette dressing using smokey toasted sesame oil and fig balsamic vinegar, a new find! It is delish! It would be great on a spinach salad, BTW! Delicious fig balsamic vinegar is made by a number of companies (including President's Choice in Canada). If you "Google" it, you'll come up with a number of online sources.

Here's the recipe:

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S FIGGY- BALSAMIC-SESAME VINAIGRETTE (Low-Fat and WW Core Plan Compatible) (with Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette variation)
Yield: 1 and 1/2 cups


The sesame oil lends a smokiness that blends well with the fruity vinegar.

1 cup aquafaba or Fat-Free Oil Substitute for Salad Dressings 
1/4 cup dark sesame oil (OR use 1/2 sesame oil and 1/2 olive oil)
1/4 cup fig balsamic vinegar (see text above)
1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon rice or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt

Whisk, shake, or blend the ingredients together well, bottle and store in the refrigerator.

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per 2 tablespoons):
54.8 calories; 70% calories from fat; 4.6g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 176.0mg sodium; 25.0mg potassium; 4.2g carbohydrates; 0.1g fiber; 2.2g sugar; 4.0g net carbs; 0.1g protein; 1.5 points.




BRYANNA'S RASPBERRY BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE VARIATION:
The recipe is the same except for the following changes:


1.) For the oil, use 3 tablespoons olive oil plus 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil;
2.) Use only 1 tablespoon of brown sugar; 
3.) Use Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar instead of the Fig variety; 
4.) Use 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar instead of the rice or cider vinegar.


PHOTO TEASERS OF THINGS I MADE THIS WEEKEND:

Italian Seitan Pot Roast (can be made in the oven or in a slow-cooker):





Spiedini Sandwiches made with Field Roast Grain Meatballs (from the ongoing Field Roast cookbook I'm working on):


Spiedini are skewered, browned Italian "meatballs"


For sandwiches, they are browned and served on crusty rolls (I only had baguettes cut in 8" lengths) and topped with a tasty tomato sauce. They were pretty filling-- we ate them open-face.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

WOAH!!
Such delicious looking food - you big tease you.
:)

Søren said...

Oh Bryanna, you are making the waiting time on the e-book and grain meat book harder ... yum this looks good!

Karen said...

Oh! The pot roast looks delicious!

Shannon said...

Just found your blog! I was able to reverse my diabetes on a Vegan diet. I'm working on Vegan Once-A-Month cooking for my family. I'm so glad that I found you!! I need help!
Will put you on my sidebar. Thanks!

Sheree' said...

There you go againg teasing with your field roast recipes. Oh my I can't wait. You are the bomb cook so I know it is worth the wait. I also am so excited to get your seitan Ebook. Woo Hoo!!!