Monday, April 17, 2006

CINNAMON ROLL LAMB, EASTER LEFTOVERS AND ENCHILADA CASSEROLE

Best Blog Tips












Just a quick entry today...here is an "Enchilada Casserole" I made with leftovers from my Mexican Easter dinner from the new Vegan Feast subscriber newsletter. I'd been working on the computer all day and hadn't even thought about food. So, rummage through the fridge and freezer and see what's there....homemade corn tortillas, molé sauce, Frijoles Borrachos ("Drunken Beans"), Mexican Rice, my homemade Tofu "Queso Fresco"-- all recipes from The Vegan Feast newsletter. Enchilada casserole is easier and quicker than rolled enchiladas, so that settled that! I had 8 tortillas, so I layered four of them in the bottom of a 9" square baking pan (on top of a little of the molé sauce), spread the beans on top, crumbled the "Queso Fresco" over that, then the other 4 tortillas, and a good amount of molé sauce. (Molé sauce is a rich, dark savory sauce that contains chocolate!) Baked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F, and served with salad and the Mexican Rice, to which I had added some frozen corn. Yum! (You could use any other Mexican-style beans and vegan cheese.)



Yesterday I made my Cinnamon Roll Lamb for the kids. Here are the pictures of it unrisen, risen, and baked and glazed. It's always a big hit. SEE THE RECIPE BELOW.




Printable Recipes
BRYANNA’S VEGAN EASTER CINNAMON ROLL LAMB

This is an Easter tradition in our home and the kids love it!
NOTE: You can use any favorite cinnamon roll dough (the amount you need for this recipe would contain about 2 1/2 cups flour) to make this. See my low-fat dough recipe below.

Use half of the risen dough. Pinch off about 1/4 of the dough and set it aside, covered, for the head, legs and tail of the lamb.

Roll the remaining portion into a 10x15" rectangle. Spread this with
2 T. Tofu Sour Creme, or vegan margarine (try my homemade palm-oil-free buttery spread), or any low-fat spread and sprinkle with
1/4 c. sugar mixed with 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.

Starting at one long edge, roll it up like a jelly roll. Seal the edge well. With a sharp knife, cut the roll into 20 slices, each about 3/4” thick.

On a non-stick or lightly-oiled baking sheet, arrange the slices side by side in 4 rows-- 4 slices in the top row; 5 slices in the second; 6 in the third; and 5 in the bottom row. This forms the body of the lamb.

Use the reserved dough to make a round bun for the head, with a triangular-shaped nose, bits of dough rolled into little "snakes" for closed "eyes", two pointed ears, two hoofed feet, and a tail . Attach them, tucking under the “body”.

Cover and let rise until doubled. Bake at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush head, feet and tail with Sweet Bread Glaze (see recipe below) . Spread the "body" with your favorite icing (powdered) sugar glaze, or Sugar Glaze or White Maple Glaze (recipes below), made with orange or almond extract.

MY DOUGH RECIPE:

The following recipe and variations is from my book "The Almost No-Fat Holiday Cookbook":

NOTE: If you want a richer dough, use only 3/4 c. mashed potatoes and add 1/4 c. softened vegan margarine (try my homemade palm-oil-free buttery spread).

BRYANNA'S FAT-FREE VEGAN SWEET YEAST BREAD DOUGH WITH VARIATIONS
Makes 2 loaves or 32 small rolls

This is a great basic dough for breads that usually call for eggs and butter-- it's light and moist and just slightly sweet. I'll give you a few variations , but please experiment by adapting your own favorite sweet breads to this dough.

2 c. warm non-dairy milk (I prefer soy milk)
1 pkg. or 2 1/2 tsp. regular baking yeast (dry active yeast)
(NOTE: If you use instant yeast, use less-- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp.)
1 c. leftover mashed potatoes (1/2 lb. peeled potatoes, cooked and mashed)
OR 1 c. instant mashed potato flakes mixed with 2/3 c. boiling water
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. organic unbleached sugar
1 T. lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. turmeric
5 c. unbleached white flour

In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, combine the milk and yeast. When the yeast has dissolved, add the mashed potatoes, wheat germ, syrup, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and turmeric. Mix in the unbleached flour. Knead well for 5 to 10 minutes (using as little flour as possible if kneading by hand-- the dough should be soft and a bit sticky).

Place the dough in a greased bowl which will allow for doubling of the dough, turn it over to grease the top, and cover with plastic wrap, or place inside of a large plastic bag (to prevent the dough from drying out). Rise overnight or for 8-12 hours in the refrigerator (this dough handles best when cold).

Several hours before serving, shape the dough into two loaves, or 16 large loaves, or 32 small rolls, according to the variation recipe you are using. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-45 minutes, depending upon the size and shape of the loaves or rolls. (Solid round or pan loaves may take as long as 45 minutes; long, braided, or ring loaves about 30 minutes; small rolls 20 minutes.) Cool on racks and decorate as directed in the variation recipe.

BRYANNA’S WHITE MAPLE GLAZE Makes 1/2 c.
This can be used on sweet yeasted breads, tea breads, cupcakes, etc..

1/2 c. good-tasting  soy or rice  milk powder (do not use bulk soymilk powder)
4 T. Grade A light maple syrup
1/4 tsp. vanilla or other flavor extract

Mix the ingredients together thoroughly in a bowl. For a thin glaze, spread it on the hot bread or cake. For a firmer glaze, spread it on the cooled bread or cake.


BRYANNA’S SOY-SUGAR GLAZE Makes about 1/2 c.

For a sweeter glaze that gets a bit crusty, try this easy one. If you use unbleached sugar, it's more beige than white. It's good on baked doughnuts or muffins baked in miniature bundt pans .

1/2 c. organic unbleached sugar
2 T. soy milk
2 T. isolated soy protein powder
1/4 tsp. vanilla or other flavor extract

Melt the sugar and soymilk together in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, or MICROWAVE in a microwave-safe small bowl for 1 minute. Beat in the soy protein powder and vanilla with a hand blender or electric mixer. Spread on hot cake, etc..


Happy Easter!



17 comments:

julie hasson said...

Bryanna, this all looks sooo good! The recipes in the newsletter look amazing, as does your adorable Cinnamon Roll Lamb. Yum!!

I'm so glad that you have kept the newsletter going. Your recipes are always so inspired!

Julie

Guinnah said...

I love the cinnamon roll lamb! I was instantly reminded of Shari Lewis and Porkchop (this is the song that never ends..yes it goes on and on my friend...).

Nic said...

That lamb is the cutest! The next time I'm doing something for kids, it is difinitely making an appearance. Heck - I might just have to make it for myself before then. Beautiful.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, everyone! I have been making this since my kids were young-- and my oldest daughter will be 40 this year, so that gives you some idea of how long!

spiceislandvegan said...

Wow Bryanna! The cinnamon roll lamb is so cute. I will make try to make this next time I make cinnamon roll. I love your Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll with Pecan and Dried Cranberries. It was still delicious after I froze it for months. I would like to try to form it as a lamb next time, a FROZEN LAMB?....ha ha...

Thanks for the great idea!

SIV

Rachel said...

yum! i love that lamb!

Anonymous said...

I love the cinnamon rolls. I haven't made those in quite a while. I think I will make some this weekend.

Anonymous said...

you are the best mom/grandmom ever!!!! omg4474747!!

xo
kittee

colormedisco said...

Hey, I found your blog last week, and I have to say -- you are amazing! I'm not a full-time vegan, myself, but I most certainly enjoy good, healthy, wholesome food. I don't have a lot of bread making experience, let alone totally VEGAN bread making experience. I was wondering what kind of alternatives I could use in this dough recipe to replace the soy milk powder and if active dry yeast is the same or could be used in place of regular baking yeast. Thank you for your ingenious insight and recipes! d

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, Beth! Active dry yeast is the same thing. If you use instant yeast, use less-- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp.

You can omit the soymilk powder and juts use 1 cup water and 1 cup soymilk as the liquid. if you are allergic to soy, you can use 2 cups rice milk. But, I must point out that soy acts as a natural "dough conditioner" in yeast breads and makes a nice fluffy bread.

colormedisco said...

Thanks for your responses so quickly. They were really helpful. Could I use hemp milk to replace the soy/rice? I don't really drink either of those because of the sugar. BTW... this is the best cooking website I've ever found.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, Beth! Yes, hemp milk would be just fine!

Nphyxx said...

Thanks, this looks great : )

qiting93 said...

Hi. Can I use potato flour instead of the potato flakes. I'm very keen to do this recipe but can't find potato flakes in Singapore. Thanks.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Can you just use the fresh potato option? That would be the best. If you use potato flour, use only about 2-4 tablespoons, because the volume is much, much less than potato flakes.

Michelle said...

Hi Bryanna,
I love your sweet yeast bread recipe! Do you think you could use spinach in place of potatoes to make it a green color? I make this bread every year for the holidays, thank you for your fabulous recipes!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Michelle, the potatoes are a must because they are what makes this low-fat bread fluffy. Perhaps some pureed spinach mixed in with the water?