Sunday, April 23, 2006

VEGAN POTATO AND SWEET POTATO GRATIN

Best Blog Tips


My mom came over for lunch today and I was looking for a light entree to make. I had 1/2 a raw sweet potato left, and 1/2 a block of my homemade vegan "cheddar" in the freezer, so I decided to mix the sweet potato with white potato and make a vegan gratin. It was delicious! My "cheddar" is tahini-based and has alot of flavor-- it also melts well. (a related recipe for Vegan "Gruyere" is in my new book .) However, you can use any other favorite vegan cheese instead.

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S POTATO AND SWEET POTATO GRATIN WITH SAGE
Updated April 2011
Servings: 4 ( actually, 3 of us ate the whole thing!)

1 large onion, thinly-sliced
1-2 Tbs chopped fresh sage
2 tsp olive oil
8 oz. sweet potato, peeled and sliced very thinly
1 lb thin-skinned white potatoes, scrubbed and sliced very thinly
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 large clove garlic, minced
about 2 cups (grated and not packed down) of your favorite vegan "cheese" that melts well
salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
1 cup soy or nut milk, warmed

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 2 qt. gratin dish or shallow casserole. Put on a pot of water to boil.

Heat the oil in a nonstick heavy skillet and add the onions and sage. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until they soften and turn golden. OR, place the oil in a microwave-safe dish or casserole, add the onions and sage, cover and cook on full power for 8 minutes. (Shy of microwaves? Please read this.)

I use a mandoline slicer to cut the potatoes very thinly. I have one similar to this one, but there are so many and some for every budget . You can also do this on an attachment of your food processor. When the water boils, add some salt and add the potatoes and sweet potatoes. Stir the potatoes so that they don't clump together. When the water boils again, time for 1 minute.

Drain the potatoes and mix in a large bowl with the cooked onions and sage, and the parsley and garlic. Mix well.

Grate the "cheese". (The photos are of my Vegan "Cheddar" from my old Vegan Feast newsletter, which grates best when frozen or semi-frozen-- a related recipe for Vegan "Gruyere" is in my new book)


Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and 1/3 of the "cheese". Repeat layering two more times. Pour the warm soy or nut milk over the gratin.


Cover with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 25 minutes more. Let the gratin stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per 1/4 of the casserole): 209.2 calories; 20% calories from fat; 4.9g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 137.0mg sodium; 857.5mg potassium; 36.8g carbohydrates; 6.0g fiber; 6.7g sugar; 30.8g net carbs; 6.1g protein; 3.8 points.



Enjoy!

2 comments:

spiceislandvegan said...

Bryanna,

I love your 'cheese' and usually didn't make it to casseroles. :-) I have to try this 'cheddar' in the gratin. Looks good!

SIV

Guinnah said...

This looks so good! I definitely need to try this for my older daughter - it looks like something she would love.