Friday, December 22, 2006

UPDATE AND BEST WISHES

Best Blog Tips Just a note to say that we have no phone (and, thus, Internet) access (I'm writing from work again, but I won't be back for a week), and they're not giving us much hope for a speedy recovery. Apparently it's a two-man job, but they won't send another guy out. The local (very kind) technician said he might be able to do a temporary patch job if my DH helped, so we'll see.

UPDATE 5PM: We have phone and internet access again! The technician came late in the day and my husband just phoned and said it was patched up, so, barring any big windstorms, it should hold until he comes back. Sunday there is a forecast of winds up to 90k an hour, but that's less than the last big storm that hit.

In the meantime, I'm keeping busy making food ahead of the holiday and doing a little decorating. Yesterday I made two seitan "pork" roasts:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and two seitan "turkey" roasts :

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also made some vegan Tourtière (a French-Canadian "meat" pie which DH, who comes from Quebec, MUST have every year on Christmas Eve):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The recipe was in an article that I wrote for Vegetarian Times magazine in 1995-- but now I use a package of Yves "Ground Round" (vegan "hamburger" crumbles) instead of the ground seitan. The recipe, unfortunately is not available online, though you can access it through your local libary electronic magazine archives. (NOTE: In the recipe on that site, the baking time inexplicably reads "SO"-- it should read "50-60 minutes, or until the pastry is done to your liking".)  You'll find other French-Canadian recipes there, and some background on the Réveillon (REV-e-yawn), or Christmas Eve, feasting and traditions. UPDATE: DEC. 2014:  See my new vegan Tourtière recipe here!


HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL (and I'd love to hear about your vegan holiday feasting)!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

12 comments:

veganmum said...

Happy holidays, Bryanna!

I do a tourtiere every Christmas Eve, too. I made the pastry today, but haven't yet made the filling, so I am going to check out your recipe. We will have ours with some raw vegetables and crackers with dips and pate.

I had hoped to make one of your fabulous pumpkin pies for Christmas dinner, but everyone in town is sold out of canned pumpkin, apparently. If I find the inclination and the time, I will make it from scratch, using a buttercup squash we were recently given. Your pumpkin pie really makes the holiday for us, especially for my husband.

Thanks so much for continuing to update us throughout this ordeal, and I certainly hope you are back online soon. Have a safe and happy holiday.

Krista

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

I just heard from DH that they poatched up the phone line, so, barring any really heavy winds, we should be okay until after Christmas! YAY!

have a wonderful holiday, veganmum!

Anonymous said...

Your holiday treats look amazing. That roast would satisfy even the most omnivorous of family members.

Happy holidays.

Susan Voisin said...

Bryanna, these all look so delicious, especially the Tourtiere (I'm clicking over to the recipe right after I send this). Thanks for all you do to make delicious vegan cooking accessible to everyone. Happy holidays to you and your family--I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no more storms!

Anonymous said...

im with Susan, thanks for everything!

Anonymous said...

Compliments of the season Bryanna. Given your link to a couple of new veggie groups in South Africa so hope they pop in and enjoy your blog as much as I do :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryanna,

I'm making the Tourtiere right now but unfortunately, the article says to bake the pie for "SO" minutes - looks like perhaps an optical scan typo, so I don't know how long to bake it. I'm trying 30 minutes and then checking it after that.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks so much, Jackie!

vegan knitting-- Oh, I didn't see that! It should be 50-60 minutes, or until the pastry is done to your liking, actually. Hope you enjoyed it!

Happy Boxing Day and first day of Kwaanza to all!

michelle (meiji) said...

Hi Bryanna - I am going to try making the tourtiere for Thanksgiving, since we won't be visiting my French Canadian Mother-In-Law this year (although, she makes the traditional meat version. I would really love to make a Vegan one that tastes exactly the same). If I use the Yves Ground Round, do I need to adjust the amount of marmite, ketchup, & seasoning mixture? Thank you!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Michelle, I use the same seasonings with the Yves as I do with the ground seitan. You can, of course, adjust the seasonings to your own taste.

michelle (meiji) said...

Thank you, Bryanna. I picked up some marmite last night & tried it for the first time. That's some potent umami right there!

michelle (meiji) said...

I made the tourtiere last night, & we couldn't wait for Thanksgiving. We dug into it last night. DELICIOUS! It didn't taste exactly like my mum-in-law's, but I just need to tweak the seasoning & maybe the amount of mashed potato flakes (my husband is used to a less dense filling). Just like all family recipes, everyone is used to what they're used to, so I'm going to have to take good notes on the seasoning ratio next time I'm at the in-laws. Thanks Bryanna! This is definitely a hit in my household & something I just wasn't sure I could recreate, but now I can, thanks to your recipe.