Saturday, December 30, 2006

WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER VEGAN NOG-- VEGAN "EGGNOG" STREUSAL MUFFINS

Best Blog Tips

BRYANNA'S VEGAN CRANBERRY-PECAN "EGGNOG" STREUSAL MUFFINS
Yield: 12
I developed these muffins to use up some commercial "soynog" that I tried and didn't really like for drinking-- found it too spicy. I like my own homemade soy nog with just a little nutmeg grated on top for drinking.  But any commercial vegan nog would work well in this muffin recipe. The muffins are not overly-sweet and make a nice snack or breakfast item. I tried to keep the fat reasonably low and the fiber over 5 g.

DRY MIX
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 to 3/4 cup organic unbleached granulated sugar
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 Tbs baking powder
1 Tbs ground golden flax seed (measure AFTER grinding)
1/2 tsp salt
WET MIX
1 1/4 cups commercial vegan "nog" (see text above-- nutrition facts calculated using "So Nice Noel Nog")
6 Tbs smooth unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbs oil
1 tsp pure almond extract
ADDITIONAL:
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped lightly-toasted pecans
STREUSAL TOPPING
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oat bran
2 Tbs vegan butter (try my homemade palm oil-free "Buttah")
1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Insert large paper cupcake liners in 12 muffin cups in a cupcake pan.
Combine the Streusal ingredients in a medium bowl, mixing with your fingertips. Set aside.

Mix the Dry Mix ingredients in a large bowl. Add the dried cranberries and pecans and stir briefly. Whisk or blend together the Wet Mix ingredients. Add the Wet Mix to the Dry Mix and mix briefly, only to moisten the Dry mix.

Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Top evenly with the Streusal mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they test done. Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer carefully to a rack. Serve warm.

They can be frozen. To reheat, slice in half and heat in a toaster oven at 400°F for a few minutes.

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per muffin): 385.7 calories; 20% calories from fat; 9.1g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 119.3mg sodium; 321.1mg potassium; 74.8g carbohydrates; 5.5g fiber; 23.3g sugar; 69.3g net carbs; 4.7g protein; 7.7 points.

Happy New Year!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

9 comments:

Celeste said...

Hi Bryanna! Was thinking of you...we're moving to Athens, GA and I already found a beginner bellydance class to try. I hope I like it.

Photo of Don and me at Christmas on my blog.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

That's exciting, Celeste! Who's your teacher?

Great photo! All the best in the New Year and a new city!

Harmonia said...

Hello and Happy New Year! I'm back bloggin - same place - http://harmonia.bloggoing.com.

Missed your entries while I was away! Hope all is well!

I can't get enough of your books btw! Any plans for a new one???

Anonymous said...

can you take bellydancing classes where you live? i have a hard time finding them.

Anonymous said...

I hear you are in for more storms Bryanna. In Saskatchewan right now, 10:45 at night, our temperature is +3 (normal of -20). Who comes in higher on the World's Most Truthful Profession list; scientists, language translators, bellydance teachers, or investment bankers? It's all love kiddies...Waiting for Hell to freeze over..Mad cackling laughter

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, Harmonia! I'm working on the seitan Ebook, and planning to do a book proposal of recipes from my newsletter, so we'll see!

Anonymous-- why don't you email me (bryannaclarkgrogan@gmail.com) and let me know where you live, and I can see who teaches there.

padre Y2K, yes, we had a big storm yesterday and the day and night before. Lost power for a few hours, but it's calm now. The weather is nuts. Vancouver got 100 mm of rain yesterday! Stanley Park looks like a bomb hit it. I get nervous when it gets windy now because of the number of trees that have hit houses (miraculously nobody hurt!).

But, what can you do? We're not in a war zone or occupied country! We have clean water and electricity most of the time, plenty of food, and freedom to move.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 7:56:54 AM

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to blame anyone. Everyone does what they can. The higher ups at Chevron(a company many know of) has a web site at Willyoujoinus.com that has funny e-cards and ads about energy issues. Certainly funny coming from them. People working in these industries are aware of the coming problems, and possible options. Is it responsible science to provide people with technology when they ignore the warnings of the people inventing it? I could go on, but I'm not sure this is the place; and I think people of your bent are already ahead of me on this one. Begging your pardon.

Anonymous said...

I am SO sure that they are amazing !
I found the So Nice Eggnog at the Loblaws in QcC and I almost leaped for joy. Loved it.
The trouble is that it is all gone so I can't make your muffins :(

I'll save the recipe for next year though ! Thank you !

Anonymous said...

MM! Those look great and I bet they made the house smell great as well!