Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A NEW MEATLESS KIBBEH (MIDDLE EASTERN BAKED "MEATLOAF" WITH BULGUR)

Best Blog Tips

I've been working on this recipe for a few weeks and served it to friends Sunday night for dinner-- it was all eaten up by 4 of us!  You know that I've written about various types of kibbeh (here, and here in past posts (and there's another recipe in my new book), and what kibbeh is.  Most kibbeh is made from meat, but many varieties are made from potatoes, squash and other vegetables, along with bulgur and onions and spices.  I love kibbeh!  I wanted to make a vegan meatless variety that was quick and easy to throw together, so I chose to use Yves "ground Round", but you could use any vegan "hamburger crumbles", or even 2 cups of ground seitan.  It is very easy to make and it's best at room temperature, so it's fine-- better, actually-- to make it ahead of time.

I want to fool around with this recipe in future, perhaps adding dried fruit and or pine nuts, using a pomegranate glaze or sauce, layering with vegetables or lentils, etc. Any ideas?

My new Meatless Kibbeh with my lower-fat version of Taheena Sauce
Printable Recipe

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

BRYANNA'S MEATLESS KIBBEH
 Servings: 6
 Best made ahead of time and served at room temperature.  PS: You can leave off the tomato/onion topping if you like and bake it covered with foil, if you like. 

2 cups    vegetarian "hamburger crumbles" (such as 1 pckg. Yves "Ground Round")  
1 medium    onion, cut into chunks  
1/2 cup    medium (#2) bulgur wheat, rinsed and drained  
4 oz    potato, peeled and grated  
2 tablespoons    soy sauce  
2 tablespoons    ketchup  
2 tablespoons    nutritional yeast flakes  
1 tablespoon    dried mint  
1 tsp    ground cumin  
1/2 tsp    salt  
1/2 tsp    garlic granules or powder  
1/2 tsp    cinnamon  
1/4 tsp    allspice  
   freshly-ground black pepper to taste  
   olive oil
Topping:
Fresh tomato slices
thinly-cut onion rings

salt and freshly-ground pepper
olive oil
To accompany:
Taheena Sauce
  
Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Process the onion in a food processor until minced, then add the "hamburger crumbles" and process until it is a slightly finer texture. Mix this with the remaining ingredients (except the olive oil) together well in a large bowl with your hands.

Press the mixture into 2 qt. round or oval baking dish, sprayed with olive oil from a pump sprayer, and press it down gently and evenly.  (You can line the bottom with cooking parchment, if you like.) Spray the top with olive oil from a pump sprayer, or brush it on lightly. Cut the mixture carefully right through in a diamond pattern.


Top with the tomato slices and onion rings.  Add salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste, and drizzle with a little olive oil.



Bake for 1 hour. This loaf firms up as it cools and can be reheated. Loosen the sides with a table knife. Serve with Taheena Sauce.

 Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 148.5 calories; 5% calories from fat; 0.9g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 631.0mg sodium; 586.3mg potassium; 23.8g carbohydrates; 6.8g fiber; 3.3g sugar; 17.0g net carbs; 14.2g protein; 2.2 points. 

Enjoy! 





11 comments:

Punkin Nerd said...

I was one of the first batch of amazon purchasers. I just got my book yesterday and after flipping through the pages wanted to check if there were any reviews or suggestions on what to try first and that's when I also noticed it was sold out! I can't wait to try a bunch of these recipes and maybe I'll post a review and pictures of my attempts.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thank you Punkin! I haven't even seen it yet!! One lady told me she tried the Korean pancakes right off and really liked them.

CautiouslyAudacious said...

I'm so excited for this post! You don't know how long my mom and I have been trying to convert her traditional Kibbeh recipe. I'm gonna try this!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

CautiouslyAudacious, do let me know how it works for you, and any suggestions for seasoning, etc. I find that with vegan versions of things I have to use more seasoning than one normally would with meat.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryanna - tried to get your new book through vegan essentials and customer service says they don't carry it.....
I'm in BC so is there anyplace you know of that carries it in Vancouver or around Duncan BC?

Best Wishes for your new book,
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

I received my pre-ordered copy of the book and I was thrilled to recognize the Moroccan Savory Celebration Pie as the recipe you kindly sent me when I asked for a recipe for a vegan bastilla. I've made it many times and it is always a success. It remains one of my favorite dishes. (I think it helps that my pizza pans have extended oval handles shaped on either side of the pans.)
This success gives me courage to try some of the other more complex recipes in the books and even make additions and modifications. We're doing Russian food this Friday and I plan to use the vegan sponge cake as a Russian Cherry Cake by adding fresh pitted cherries before baking.
Does this sound doable? I hope so.
Ruchama

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Check back with them tomorrow, Cynthia. The owner wrote to me that it would be up tonight online (they have the books now), but maybe they didn't get it up yet-- try back tomorrow! It's only been out for barely a week, so it's early days yet in Canada. Please check back on this blog!

Anonymous said...

Bryanna, I got your new book two days ago. It looks wonderful! I have marked quite a number of recipes to try.

This morning for breakfast I made the yeasted oven pancake with apples. Yum! This will be repeated frequently. However, the recipe says that it serves 4 and the two of us managed to eat it all without any problem. Are we just big eaters or were you assuming it would be one item in a multi-course brunch?

I do have one question, about the Scandinavian Christmas Bread on page 237. The recipe calls for dough from a previous recipe, risen, and then lists flavorings and raisins and other dried fruit. When are we supposed to add the flavorings and dried fruit? It doesn't say. Before kneading? After kneading but before going into the refrigerator for rising? After rising but before shaping into ropes?

Joanne

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

OMG-- errata already! Thanks for the heads-up! Add it before kneading! Sorry about that!

Unknown said...

Bryanna,
You asked for ideas what to serve with your Kibbeh.
I found this on the web but do not know the source.
It's not vegan but has a lot of potential.

Pomegranate Yogurt Dip

Preparation time: 15–20 minutes
Servings: 6–8

Ingredients:
2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
12 fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 medium English cucumber, finely diced
Salt, to taste
Good quality extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
Coarse ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
On a cutting board, mince garlic with a press, sprinkle with salt. Using a knife, mash/chop into a paste. Place garlic in a small bowl, combine with salt, yogurt, parsley and mint. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, stir in cucumber, and salt to taste. Spoon into a favorite dish and serve drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with walnuts and pomegranate. Sprinkle with black pepper.
Serve with torn Middle Eastern flatbread or plain salty rustic crackers. A side dish of radish and lettuce hearts is a lovely addition.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

This looks lovely, Linda, and certainly could be veganized-- thanks so much!