Monday, July 11, 2011

A SCRUMPTIOUS ITALIAN CASSEROLE WITH ONLY 5 INGREDIENTS (NOT COUNTING S&P)

Best Blog Tips
                                                  

                  Patate en Tagame (with added vegan mozza shreds on top)

Want something really delicious for dinner?  Good enough for company?  But not complicated?  Have I got a dish for you!

I have to confess that I haven't been terribly creative in the food department lately-- I think it's like a "hangover" from writing the book. So, I've been cooking things from my own recipe files and cookbooks, and we've been enjoying some old favorites that I haven't made for a long time.

I love potatoes, and this casserole was, surprisingly perhaps, one of my absolute favorites from my book "Nonna's Italian Kitchen".  Truly, the sum is greater than its parts where this casserole is concerned!

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA’S PATATE IN TEGAME (ITALIAN BAKED SLICED POTATOES WITH TOMATOES AND GARLIC) 
Serves 4
This delicious casserole can be served at any meal, including brunch, and makes a wonderful potluck offering.  You can use almost any kind of potato (though I prefer the yellow-fleshed ones), and either fresh or canned tomatoes. 
TIP: The easiest and fastest way to slice the potatoes is with a manual mandoline slicer.
I have an old, cheap mandoline box slicer that I've used for years.  I think I paid under $15 for it.


There's no need to spend alot of money on a mandoline, unless you are producing food on a large scale. If I had to purchase a new one, I would get one of these:

              Baban or TARGET Simple Version 3 in 1 Multi - function mandoline slicer


HONGJING Multi-Function Kitchen Slicer



1 1/2 lbs.yellow potatoes, scrubbed and very thinly sliced (I don't peel them.)
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3/4 lb. fresh ripe plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
            OR a 14 oz. can plum tomatoes or diced tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons good extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan substitute, such as my easy homemade version or your favorite storebought
salt and freshly-ground black pepper
OPTIONAL: you can also add some shredded vegan Mozza cheeze on top, if you like.

         Oil a 10" glass or ceramic baking dish or pie plate with olive oil.  If you are using the canned tomatoes, break them up with your hands, or slice roughly.

        Preheat the oven to 350ºF.

        Place one layer of potatoes (about 1/3 of them) in the dish.  Salt and pepper them; add 1/3 of the tomatoes, half of the garlic, and sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of the vegan parmesan.


        Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.  Repeat the layering, then add the last layer of potatoes, salt and pepper, tomatoes, and sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoon of vegan parmesan and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. 

        Cover the dish and bake for about 1 hour.  Uncover the dish and bake 15 minutes more, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden.  Serve hot.


Nutrition Facts per serving:  260 calories; 5 g protein; 38 g carbohydrate; 9 g fat.

Enjoy!



3 comments:

Beth said...

Another great recipe from my FAVORITE all time cookbook. I pull this book out time and time again whenever I need a recipe to impress. I'm on my second copy! Thanks Bryanna.

in2insight said...

This was so amazingly awesome. Simple with flavors that were both bold and comforting.
Thank you for sharing this!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

in2insight-- I'm glad you enjoyed it!!