Tuesday, January 1, 2008

RING IN THE NEW YEAR WITH A SPICY WHOLEGRAIN DISH

Best Blog Tips
Vegan Thai-Style "Chicken" Barley Risotto, ready to serve
Happy New Year, everyone! I'm hoping for a year of peacemaking and global justice-- not to much to ask, I don't think! Anyway, I hope you had a lovely holiday. Ours was noisy and fun-- all my kids and their families, my mother, my sister and family were here, though I didn't have to do all the work!

I want to give you my version of a recipe from Cooking Light magazine that I veganized last night. It's perfect after the excess holiday food-- spicy and interesting, but wholegrain and full of vegetables. (PS: I'm happy to report that I did not gain weight over the holidays-- not sure how I pulled that off!) I also added my microwave instructions, so that you don't have to stir so much! We really enjoyed this dish.

Before serving
Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S VEGAN VERSION OF THAI "CHICKEN" BARLEY RISOTTO 
Servings: 4 

1 Tbs dark sesame oil, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped green onions, divided
2 Tbs minced garlic, divided
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil, divided
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 cups veggie chicken broth
(For the Microwave Version below, use 3 cups broth)
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice or bottled organic lime juice
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs water
1 1/2 tsp rice or cider vinegar
1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce 
1/2 tsp fish-free red curry paste 
1 Tbs chopped peeled fresh lemongrass or lemon zest
1 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
3 cups thin strips of commercial vegan "chicken strips" or reconstituted Soy Curls (you could probably use a commercial baked or marinated tofu, too-- one with neutral or Asian flavoring)
1 1/4 cups red bell pepper strips
1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed
1 cup lite coconut milk OR Bryanna's Mock Coconut Milk
4 tsp chopped peanuts

 Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sesame oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup of the green onions and 1 tablespoon garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in the barley, 1/4 cup cilantro or basil, black pepper, 1/2 cup broth, the sherry, and jalapeños; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 15 minutes).

Combine juice and next 5 ingredients (juice through curry paste); set aside.

Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 cup green onions, 1 tablespoon garlic, lemongrass or zest, and ginger; sauté 1 minute. Add "chicken", bell pepper, and peas; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in barley mixture, juice mixture, and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro or basil. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon peanuts.

MY MICROWAVE VERSION: I used a 2 qt. Pyrex round casserole dish. I "sweated" the 1/2 cup green onions and 1 Tbs garlic in the oil for a couple of minutes (covered) in the microwave. Then I added the barley, basil (or cilantro), 3 cups broth (yes, all at once!), sherry, and jalapeños. I microwaved this on high, UN-covered, for 7 minutes. I stirred it and microwaved it for 7 more minutes.

I sauteed the remaining green onion, garlic, lemongrass (or zest, as in my case), and ginger for a few minutes in a nonstick skillet. I added the red pepper, "chicken" sub, and peas and sauteed briefly. Then I added it to the casserole after the last 7 minutes of microwaving, along with the lime juice mixture and the coconut milk. I microwaved it for about 5 minutes more-- it depends on how "soupy" or "dry" you like your risotto.

Nutrition Facts using Lite Coconut Milk
Nutrition (per serving):
352.1 calories; 32% calories from fat; 13.0g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 295.6mg sodium; 501.3mg potassium; 43.2g carbohydrates; 10.0g fiber; 10.4g sugar; 33.2g net carbs; 15.4g protein; 7.3 points.
Nutrition facts if you use Bryanna's Mock Coconut Milk instead of lite coconut milk: Nutrition (per serving): 340.4 calories; 28% calories from fat; 10.8g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 346.8mg sodium; 572.1mg potassium; 44.1g carbohydrates; 10.3g fiber; 11.9g sugar; 33.8g net carbs; 15.7g protein; 6.9 points.

Original Recipe Source: Cooking Light, March 2003

Have a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful 2008!


8 comments:

Dori said...

This looks absolutely awesome. i plan on making this very soon. Thanks for the rcipe and have a great new year!

Anardana said...

That looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

looks delicious.

happy new year!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

looks like a scrumptious dish to ring in the new year - happy belated new year to you, Bryanna!!

Anonymous said...

What a unique recipe! If you'd like, add my vegan recipe site to your blog roll. Thanks!
http://raspberry.lemonsnowcone.com/

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, anonymous!

Anonymous said...

Wow that does look beautiful...I think I will start cooking this now.

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing!