Monday, October 8, 2007

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, CANADA!

Best Blog Tips ***I will not be blogging for about 1 1/2 weeks-- I'm going to Whitehorse, Yukon!***


Our Thanksgiving meal: (clockwise from top L) roasted butternut squash slices with orange juice and spices; Garlic and Herb Crusted Soy and Seitan "Pork Tenderloin" Roast (from the Vegan Feast newsletter); my vegan brown gravy with sauteed chanterelles; Succotash from my vegan holiday cookbook (green beans, lima beans, corn, red peppers, and green onions); Orange and Rosemary Cranberry sauce (from my upcoming issue of the Vegan Feast); Traditional vegan bread stuffing; and mashed potatoes.

Dessert-- recipe below!

We celebrated last night with three vegan friends. We didn't have our usual big family dinner this year, due to various circumstances (but we'll get together next month for my mother's 90th birthday!). It was a spur of the moment dinner, because we were going to (perish the thought!) skip it altogether, since I'm down to the crunch getting the new issue of the Vegan Feast newsletter done and my house was less than tidy, shall we say. But I couldn't NOT have a harvest dinner, and I had one of my Soy and Seitan "Pork Tenderloin" roasts in the freezer (the one from the Everyday Dish DVD), a nice squash, some chanterelles, and some cranberries, so, I invited some close vegan friends who don't have family nearby and whose company we always enjoy.

The meal was ready from start to finish in 3 hours, and we stuffed ourselves with good food and great conversation! The main dish was made with my (thawed) frozen seitan "pork tenderloin", covered in a garlicky crust:



Leftover "pork tenderloin" is great in sandwiches with leftover cranberry sauce and vegan mayo! Crusty bread or rolls is the best, but it's good with any good bread;





We ended the meal with the following Ginger Apple Crumb Pie, topped by a creamy dessert sauce.

Hope all you fellow Canadians had a great weekend!



Printable Recipe (both recipes)
GINGER APPLE CRUMB PIE

This is my version of a recipe by Wendy Kalen from the Nov. 2004 issue of Fine Cooking magazine. I used my Lowfat Wholewheat Oil Pastry, which is in all of my books, I think. I used wholewheat pastry flour and a little less sugar in the crumb topping, and substituted vegan buttery spread for the butter called for (and half as much!). My guests ate every ginger-y crumb! We ate it with the Creamy Cashew-Pear sauce on top, but a vanilla vegan "ice cream" would be good, too. (I calculated the Nutrition Facts using my Lowfat Wholewheat Oil pastry crust.)

1/ 9" pie crust (your favorite)
Filling:
6 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly-sliced
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbs unbleached white flour
Ginger Topping:
1 cup wholewheat pastry flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup vegan buttery spread (try my homemade vegan palm-oil-free Buttah)

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Make the crust and place it in the refrigerator until ready to fill.

Mix the sliced apples with the other filling ingredients and pile into the pie crust.

Mix the Topping ingredients with a pastry cutter, in a food processor, or with your fingers, until like crumbs. Top the apples evenly with the Crumb Topping.

Place the pie plate on a cookie sheet (to catch any drips!) and bake at 425°F for 20 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 375°F and bake another 30-35 minutes, or until the apples are tender and teh top is nicely browned.

Servings: 8

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving):
342.9 calories; 30% calories from fat; 11.5g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 192.9mg sodium; 255.0mg potassium; 58.4g carbohydrates; 4.3g fiber; 31.3g sugar; 54.1g net carbs; 4.6g protein; 7.0 points.


BRYANNA'S CREAMY CASHEW-PEAR DESSERT SAUCE (WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM HOLLY!)

We couldn't get any vegan vanilla "ice cream" on the island yesterday, so I decided to make a sauce to go with the apple pie. I started adding cashews to soymilk in the Vita-Mix, and my friend Holly, who is a third-generation vegetarian (!!), mentioned that her mother used to make a similar sauce, but she added pears to it. So, since I had two large ripe pears that needed using, here is my version, which she said tasted very similar to her mother's. It is luscious, and would be good on steamed pudding, chocolate cake, or anything else you can think of!

3/4 cup soymilk (or other nondairy milk)
1/4 cup organic cashew pieces
2 large ripe pears, peeled and cored and cut up (the pears should not be firm or hard, and should be sweet)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 pinch salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or Vita-Mix and blend until VERY smooth. Place in a covered bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Servings: 8
Yield: 2 cups

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving):
61.5 calories; 30% calories from fat; 2.2g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 47.6mg sodium; 118.5mg potassium; 10.0g carbohydrates; 1.9g fiber; 6.0g sugar; 8.2g net carbs; 1.5g protein; 1.0 points.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

WOW, I wish I could've been at your Thanksgiving Feast! Impromptu or not, it looks fabulous!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

my goodness, what an impressive spread for your Thanksgiving feast!! Thanksgiving isn't until November here in the States - with all of your food photos and recipes, I am already thinking about all the possibilites as to what I'll serve for my Thanksgiving celebration meal :0)

Anonymous said...

Nice looking food. A wrap I liked using your seitan turkey was - Pita bread, caesar dressed romaine, cranberry sauce and the seitan. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Bryanna you are a goddess! That ginger-apple crumb pie is just what I have been craving!

eesh said...

I've never commented on your blog before. I've always been a lurker but I'm delurking to say that I think you're such a great inspiration for us vegans. I bought your Nonna's Italian Kitchen not that long ago and me and my boyfriend who isn't vegan loves it especially your crepes recipe. Thanks again!

Your Thanksgiving dinner looks marvelous. Maybe next year I can have something half as good =)

Anonymous said...

What a great looking table, Bryanna. The food looks mouth-watering ... what would we do without you? You are such an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Just fabulous. Bryanna - can I ask how you prepare items like your tenderloin for the freezer? I've never frozen any homemade seitan recipes..

Thanks! and Bravo!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Erica, I just cook them as usual and cool them thoroughly and then freeze them well-wrapped-- whole roasts, or cutlets. Cutlets can be separated by squares of parchment for easy removal.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bryanna!

xxx said...

Please sign the petition against Guillermo Habacuc Vargas, the 'artist' who starved a dog as an 'art exhibition', and/or spread the story to others. Here is the coverage so far: http://reiskeks-natividad.blogspot.com/ Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Everything on the photos just look yummy.Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The Cashew Pear sauce was a really nice touch to go with the apple pie.
I like how you give the nutritional facts with the recipes.

Wanda
from
www.only-cookware.com

mustardseed said...

Yes I do too...It's really nice having a health conscious vegan coming up with such fabulous recipes!

A question: Are all the great recipes posted in your cookbooks? I want to invest in a vegan cookbook (I live in Singapore) and we don't have store bought vegan cheeses, Earth balance, etc. etc...so I would like a more DIY cookbook that is informative and not too tough for a 14 year old.

Thanks alot I really need the help!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Mustardseed, Some of the recipes are from my books, some are new ones or improvisations on my own or others' recipes, occasionally I post one from my quarterly subscription newsletter, The Vegan Feast (http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1145422.htm ).

You might like my book of quick recipes, "20 Minutes to Dinner". My book "The Fiber for Life Cookbook" also has health-concious, but delicious recipes that are mostly quick and easy.

There is also a large archive of recipes on my website at:
http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/661699.htm

All the best! Bryanna

mustardseed said...

Thanks...I just get really afraid of "quick and easy" cookbooks cause they require store bought ingredients which are either unavailable or expensive in the Asian market.

I'll take a look at 20 minutes to Dinner though. Thanks!

Deboring said...

I am planning to make your ginger apple pie and use your crust recipe. Should I cook the crust before I put the apples in? Or is it fine to fill it just in the dough phase? Thanks!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Deboring, just fill the crust uncooked. if it was to be baked first, I would definitely tell you! happy Thanksgiving!

Deboring said...

Thanks, Bryanna!