Saturday, April 14, 2007

COCONUT RAVA DOSA FOR BREAKFAST

Best Blog Tips
The Chefs at the 2007 Vegetarian Awakening Conference in Grand Rapids, MI. Back Row, L to R: Derek Sarno, Chad Sarno, Tal Ronnen, Kevin Dunn, Sualua Tupolo. Front Row, L to R: Ian Brandt, Cathi DiCocco, Eric Tucker, Fran Costigan, and myself.

I wanted something simple but different for breakfast this morning. I love dosa--Indian crepes-- so I made an "instant" version (as opposed to a fermented batter, which is traditional) and we loved it! We had some with homemade plum chutney and some with a little Earth Balance. Other possibilities would be more traditional Indian chutneys, soy yogurt, soy creme cheese, grilled curried fruit, leftover veggies, scrambled tofu.... (For the recipe, wait for a new book coming out late in 2010!)

For cooking the dosa, you don't need any special cookware. Use a flat griddle or very shallow skillet. For the using the least fat, use a nonstick version, or, if you prefer, use hard-anodized cookware or good old-fashioned seasoned cast iron. This traditional 10.5" American cast iron round pancake griddle (available at Target for under $15) would do just fine:


Here's a Calphalon hard-anodized square 11" griddle for about $20:



(Target and many other stores have an array of different griddles and flat skillets that would work for dosa-- these are only examples of inexpensive possibilities.)

If you cook lots of dosa, here's an electric dosa tawa, sold in the USA and Canada!




Enjoy!

3 comments:

julie hasson said...

Bryanna, these look amazing! Thanks for posting the recipe : )

spiceislandvegan said...

I love dosa! I just had some tonight at www.vasanthabhavan.net This restaurant has all-you-can-eat dosas on Friday nights. On Saturday nights, they have a buffet of South Indian food and all-you-can-eat dosa, puri, and paratha. They call it all-you-can-eat but I only can eat 1. It is so filling I don't know who can eat so much of it. Yum!

I have tried making it too. Thanks for the recipe!

SIV

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful bunch of chefs !

I just voted for you !
It seems that Normam nominated you before I did but you see how we both are on the same wavelength ?
LOL

P.S. We started another starter form scratch (just rye flour and water and it is full of bubbles :)
I had to reoder Carl's starter so we will try both :)