Thursday, September 21, 2006

SNEAK PREVIEW; PUMPKIN-CREME CHEEZE-TUNNEL CAKE WITH CARAMEL SAUCE

Best Blog Tips Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

UPDATE: I added the recipe for this cake to my blog here:
http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.ca/2011/10/pumpkin-tunnel-cake-w-lemon-ginger.html

This entry will be short and sweet (in more ways than one!). I had a glitch this morning with my camera software and just wasted 2 hours!

Anyway, yesterday I tested this cake for the upcoming Vegan Feast Newsletter, which contains Thanksgiving and Christmas recipes, so I can't divulge the recipe. I've been wanting to do a vegan "tunnel cake" for a long time, and this seemed a good opportunity.

It turned out really well! The pumpkin cake tastes richer than it really is, and it's moist and tender, not heavy. The "tunnel" is a ring of tangy lemon "creme cheeze" (homemade) with chunks of organic candied ginger. (I might make more of the filling next time for a bigger "tunnel".) I topped it off with a caramel sauce and toasted pecans. Divine!

I just used a regular bundt pan, BTW-- didn't need one of those special tunnel cake pan sets. (That would be great for ice cream cakes, though!)

I plan to work on more vegan "tunnel cakes" in the future!

Have a sweet day!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of or seen a tunnel cake. I'm pretty sure I'd like it... A LOT! I like the filling with ginger.

Anonymous said...

To say that your cake looks divine is an understatement Bryanna! That newsletter is going to be so great !

And can you image that yesterday I received a cd in the mail ? :)Merci !!!!!

Harmonia said...

Awesome! Simply Awesome!

;)

You're making me very hungry!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the next newsletter. The cake looks amazing. My mom used to make tunnel cakes all the time when I was a kid, but I haven't had one in years. I don't know how you do it, you always seem to come up with the perfect "veganized" recipes!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that looks good!!!

***drool***

Anonymous said...

Yum. I'm trying to save up for your upcoming seitan book. One day maybe I can get a bunch of back issues to your newsletter. Your techniques continue to revolutionize vegetarian cooking. Not compaining, but the Lord has me on a budget, due to cutbacks. Sigh...

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Jesuit-- the seitan book will be pretty cheap, since it doesn't have to go through a publisher, distributor and retailer! And I hope to have it set up pretty soon for buying back issues all at once or separately!

harlemgrrl said...

trying to turn my head from the vegan angel food cake are ya? nice try...

spiceislandvegan said...

Wow, looks good! Can't wait for the next issue of your newsletter.

That cake looks good and I have never made a tunnel cake before.

SIV