Monday, September 11, 2006

CHOCOLATE-ORANGE-BLACKBERRY-PECAN SCONES

Best Blog Tips

It's sunny and warm now, but it was chilly this morning, and I had a jones for scones, plus two oranges that needed using, plus a little basket of wild blackberries in the fridge, so I came up with this variation on my usual low-fat scone recipe. The recipe is low in fat because it only contains 1 Tbs. of oil (though the pecans and chocolate chips raise the fat level in this version!), but the scones are nice and tender, due in part to the pastry flour. Try them-- they are yummy!

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S LOW-FAT CHOCOLATE-ORANGE-BLACKBERRY-PECAN SCONES
Makes 6 large scones
This recipe only has 1 T. of oil in it, but the scones are light and tender.

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Have ready:
3/4-1 cup fresh blackberries

Mix in a large bowl with a whisk:
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. unbleached white flour
1/4 c. organic light unbleached granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda

Stir in:
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 oz. organic dairy-free fair-trade chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

In a small bowl whisk together:
1/2 cup orange juice
6 Tbs. non-dairy milk
1 Tbs. oil
Grated zest of one organic orange

Pour this into the dry ingredients and mix lightly but thoroughly.


Dump the dough (very soft) on a greased cookie sheet. With wet hands, shape into a circle about 1/2" thick. With a sharp floured knife, cut 6 wedges. (If you want the edges of the scones to be soft, don't separate the wedges; if you want them crispy, separate them.)


Make slight indents in the dough with your finger where you want the berries to go and place a berry in each indent.


Bake about 15 minutes, or until golden. Pull the scones apart and serve warm.
Enjoy!

9 comments:

Harmonia said...

Good Lord! One of your BEST posts to date! Yum! I am looking into a few more of your books at my library - they are asking other libraries for them for me...my area is pretty closed-minded when it comes to veg-cooking and now that I am actually attempting to cook for myself I am addicted to finding any book I can! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I adore scones, and these sound so delicious!

julie hasson said...

Bryanna, these scones look wonderful! Can I substitute white unbleached pastry flour for the all purpose flour in the recipe?

I've got lots of wild blackberries near my house that are just waiting to be picked. Now I know what I'm going to make : )

Julie

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Julie, that should probably work, but you may need to use a tad bit more.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! My partner made these this morning with peaches, apple juice & almonds (since that's what we had in the house) and they are lovely!! Can't wait to try them with all the ingredients--Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! Bet it tastes better!

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! Bet it tastes better!

mustardseed said...

Nice! Can I leave out the blackberries? They're pretty much unavailable or very expensive here.

Can I replace 1/2 cup of flour with cocoa powder? I wanted double chocolate orange scones!!

And will it take me forever to grate the zest off a whole orange?

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Experiment all you like! 1/2 cup cocoa might be a bit much, though. Try 1/4 cup. As for the orange zest, if you have a microplane grater/zester, it's a breeze. Or, get yourself a little tiny box grater-- about2" high-- works great with citrus rind.