Thursday, June 22, 2006

HAVEN'T BEEN BLOGGING MUCH LATELY!

Best Blog Tips Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Vegan Omelet made with leftover Soy and Seitan Ham, mushrooms, and my Vegan "Gruyere" (UPDATE: recipes is in my new book coming out in Sept. 2011)

This has been the craziest week! It's almost over, thank goodness. Here are some pics and descriptions of recent quick meals, so quick, most of them, that I didn't even use a recipe:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Pasta ala Primavera with wild oyster mushrooms

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tofurkey Italian Veggie Sausages with sautéed mushrooms, onions and peppers in red wine

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chinese Pepper Steak made with leftover Seitan "Steaks" (UPDATE: the steak" "recipe will be in my new book coming out in Sept. 2011)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Stir-fried Tofu and Snow Peas

BRYANNA’S STIR-FRIED TOFU AND SNOW PEAS
Serves 2
A Cantonese favorite adapted from my book “Authentic Chinese Cuisine for the Contemporary Kitchen”.

6-7 oz. firm or extra-firm regular (NOT silken)tofu, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 T. vegetarian "oyster sauce" (homemade vegetarian "oyster" sauce recipe)[commercially known as "vegetarian stir-fry sauce"])
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. dry sherry
2 tsp. cornstarch
dash white pepper
1 T. oil (Chinese cold-pressed peanut oil is a tasty choice-- Lion&Globe brand is a good one)
Vegetables:
1/4 lb. fresh or frozen snow peas, trimmed and stringed
1/2 c. sliced celery
4 large mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
Cooking Sauce:
1/2 c. water
1 T. dry sherry
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. vegetarian stir-fry sauce (see above)
1 T. cornstarch
1 tsp. roasted (Asian) sesame oil
1/4 tsp. sugar

Mix the tofu cubes with the first tablespoon of "oyster” sauce and the 2 tsp. each soy sauce, sherry, and cornstarch, and the pepper. Set aside while you prepare the vegetables.

Heat a large, heavy (nonstick, if possible) wok, stir-fry pan, or heavy skillet over high heat. When it's hot, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the tofu and garlic and stir-fry until the tofu begins to brown. Add the mushrooms and celery, and the snow-peas. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, adding drops of water if the mixture begins to stick. Add the Cooking sauce and stir until it bubbles and thickens. Stir in the nuts, if you are using them. Serve immediately.

And last, but not least, an impromptu recipe:

Canned (Companion brand) Chinese Vegetarian Roast "Duck" with pineapple and peppers, in a sweet, hot sauce made with orange and red pepper jelly, orange juice, soy sauce, whiskey, (I think it was 1/2 cup of the jelly and 2 T. each of the soy sauce and whiskey and orange juice) ginger and garlic:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The "duck" right out of the can

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Happy quick cooking!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious. Is there any way I could please please pretty please have that omelette recipe!?

harlemgrrl said...

i bought a can of the vegan duck from foodfightgrocery.com and haven't used it yet. thanks for a great idea on what to do with it, instead of barbeque sauce, my default solution to many things.

t. said...

I cannot even start saying what food is the most visually appealing to me... I am hypnotized just by looking at the pictures... and if I think about the smells, I want to eat the computer screen!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blogg, and it is fantastic. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipes. From México I must say, thank you.

MeloMeals said...

Today, I finally made your Vegan Cheese... with the stabilizers that you list in your newsletter.. I modified it to suit my taste and I have to say, this is the best batch yet! The firmness is so much better.. I can't wait to freeze it and grate it.

I also made a version of your Pina Colada Popsicles... but I turned it into a shake with a lot of ice and my family and I LOVE them. Seriously... last night we added frozen raspberries and made it into a sorbet like thing in the Vita Mix.. my kids were in heaven.. they liked it more than store bought stuff. (I even used KAL stevia instead of sugar..!!)

I can't wait to try your seitan recipes and your omlette recipe..

Oh.. I also made your Poppyseed dressing.. fabulous! Thank you for sharing your delicious recipes with us!

KleoPatra said...

I'm with Melody... thank you so much, Bryanna, for sharing your recipes with the world. They are fantastic and you are so helpful! Bless you!

jenny said...

Mmmmm! My dad just brought me a huge bag of fresh snow peas from his garden, I'll have to try this recipe, it looks amazing!

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Mmm... I can't wait to try that omlette!