Sunday, January 12, 2020

SUPER QUICK & EASY VEGAN SPELT BURGER BUNS

Best Blog Tips


It's been over a year since I wrote a new blog post!  I just didn't seem to have the drive or energy to experiment or write, as I had a long, drawn-out case of shingles and I'm still on medication for the resulting nerve pain. The nerve pain from shingles really drained my energy and ambition, and I was basically making simple food

But, the good news is that I am feeling much better and regaining my energy and interest in cooking and writing. (I hope to get back to writing a blog post every week!) As you may have read in past posts from the summer of 2019, back to March of 2018, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, which inspired my interest in a low-glycemic diet. My blood sugar levels are now just over the line into diabetic.  But, it's low enough that if I get back into dancing, walking and exercising more frequently, and 
keep learning about and implementing new information about low-glycemic living, I may be able to beat this.

Just one of the items of interest in my search is low-glycemic baking.  I have always loved baking bread and I don't intend to give it up!  For this last year or so I have been eating pretty much only sprouted grain bread (a Canadian brand from the Vancouver area called Silver Hills Bakery).  The sprouted wheat can be ground and kneaded into a strong bread dough (see this blog post). The miraculous thing is that (to explain it in a very simple way), when there are just little white "beads" showing at the point of the grains, the sprouts have used up most, if not all, of the carbohydrate in the grains, making the dough low-glycemic. I definitely want to get back into making that sprouted wheat bread now and then, but I'm also investigating other low-glycemic grains to use.

In muffins and quick breads I've been using mostly a mixture of chickpea flour and oat flour (often with added oat bran, wheat bran and/or bean puree for added fiber and protein, which displace some of the usual carbohydrates). But my experiments with non-wheat yeast breads didn't turn out so well, to put it mildly!  So, I have been exploring the world of spelt flour, which is a fairly low-glycemic relative of wheat, but one which many people who have problems with wheat, but aren't really allergic to gluten, are able to tolerate.

My first spelt bread, which I made using methods generally used for wheat breads, came out like a rock!  So, I did my research, and learned that the glutens in spelt are different from wheat, and you have to use different methods than with wheat baking.  1.) You need to use less liquid per cup of flour than wheat.  2.) The dough should be soft-- even pretty wet, in some cases.  3.) You should not knead the dough for longer than a minute or so.  And. 4.) Spelt dough
 doesn't need as much rising as wheat dough.  All of this makes spelt yeast bread baking quite easy!

One of the first spelt breads that I successfully made was spelt burger buns.  I made them when our neighbor came over for a casual dinner, because she suffers from IBS or something  similar, and spelt is often a good option for some folks with stomach issues. The buns were so easy 
and quick to make, as well as being very tasty (spelt has a very pleasant "nutty" flavor) and having great crumb and crust.

This week I'd like to share the burger bun recipe with you! (Next week I plan to share a delicious crusty spelt bread recipe with you.)




Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S SUPER QUICK & EASY  VEGAN SPELT BURGER BUNS
Makes 7 buns-- can be doubled


NOTE: You may want to use sprouted spelt flour (though it's more expensive than non-sprouted spelt flour). If you do, you may have to use up to a third more of it than you would of ordinary spelt flour.

Flax Mixture (Let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.)
3 T. water

1 T. flax meal (brown or golden)
Flour Mixture:
3 1/2 cups spelt flour (I used half brown spelt flour and half light spelt flour)
1 T. vital wheat gluten powder (optional)

1/2 T. salt

Liquid Mixture:
1 cup lukewarm water
1 T. instant yeast
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. oil

Mix the Flax Mixture with the Liquid Mixture in a medium bowl. Stir in the Flour Mixture with a stout wooden spoon or a dough whisk (see photo just below) for just a couple of minutes. Flour the dough lightly and pat it out into a long rectangle on a floured mat. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 400°F.

With a knife or dough cutter, cut the rectangle into 7 equal parts (weigh them, if you want them to be of even sizes). Form the dough into round buns about 4" across. Don't make them too thick-- they will rise just enough. In fact, I pressed down gently in the middle of each one with the the heel of my hand after shaping them, to prevent them from having a domed top. Place the buns on a baking parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving some space between them. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.



Bake the buns for 18 minutes.  Let the buns cool on a rack.



Enjoy!






3 comments:

Fireweed said...

Glad you're feeling so much better Bryanna... here's to a happy, healthy new year! I can't wait to try these buns! Your attention to detail, and generosity in sharing your learning curves while developing fantastic tasting plant-based cuisine is always appreciated..thankyou so much for all your great recipes over the years! <3

Beznarf27 said...

Its wonderful to see you back and firing on all recipe guns Bryanna. These look wonderful. I only have a small air fryer oven and the covered bbq (that burns everything I try to bake in it) at them moment till its cool enough to light Brunhilda again so I am going to save this awesome recipe till I can make it in April. SO glad to see you back <3 :) (Its Fran posting on our blogger moniker that we don't use any more as Blogger won't let me post using my Wordpress moniker ;) )

Anton said...

Hi, thanks for sharing. Not many people know about vegan spelt burger buns. I always encourage my friends to start eating it.