Sunday, January 13, 2019

BACK ON THE BLOG (FINALLY), WITH YUMMY LOW-GLYCEMIC CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Best Blog Tips


It's been about 2 1/2 months since I last blogged.  There are various reasons for this-- some "blogger burn-out", I suppose you could call it,  after 12 years, first of all (13 years, actually).  And then, there's been a fairly big change in my diet and how I cook now, since I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic last year and now eat a low-glycemic diet. (See blog posts from March 2018 and on, particularly this one.) I'm not on a low-carb, or no-sugar, or vegan keto diet.  I've just been learning to cook with low-glycemic and high-fiber grains and flours, and fewer sweets, and also learned about "resistant starch"-- see this post.

Just as I was feeling like blogging again, I developed a case of shingles!  This has laid me low for over a month now.  It is improving, but my energy has been pretty low.  I'm hoping that I'll be back to normal in a couple  of weeks, but it's hard to predict.

But, at least I've had a little more interest in cooking again.  Lately, I've been working on developing some truly good low-glycemic rolled biscuits, but I haven't got there yet! (Stay tuned.) I've also been working on a good high-fiber, low-glycemic, not too fatty or sweet chocolate chip cookie recipe. My goal was also to make it easy to make, using readily-available, inexpensive ingredients, and of course, to make cookies that still tasted like a treat!

So, I'd like to offer you my latest version, which I'm quite happy with (but, you never know-- I might refine them further). I hope that you will enjoy them, too!



BRYANNA'S LOW-GLYCEMIC CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
© 2019 Bryanna Clark Grogan. All Rights Reserved.
Servings: 12 cookies 
These also happen to be GF and soy-free, too, though I do not purposely avoid either of those things.

DRY MIX INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup COLD chickpea flour (besan/gram flour) (Keep some in a jar in your fridge or freezer.)
1 T. oat flour (You can grind oat flakes or quick oats to a powder in a DRY blender.)
1 T. coconut flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
WET MIX INGREDIENTS:
1 Psyllium "Egg":
Mix and let stand 5 minutes
2 tsp. psyllium husk (not powder)
3 T. water and
1/2 tsp. oil
(NOTE: If you have no psyllium husk, use 1 T. ground flax seed whisked with 3 T. hot water and then chilled in the fridge for about 5 minutes.  Both psyllium husk and flax seed are inexpensive, high in fiber and easily available in large supermarkets, bulk food stores, or natural food stores.)
*********
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 T. smooth UN-sweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
ADDITIONS:
1/2 cup dark vegan chocolate chips
Optional: 1/4 cup walnut pieces, chopped (Use pecans or other nuts, if you wish, or you can omit the nuts.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large cookie sheet with baking parchment.
In a medium bowl, mix together the Dry Mix ingredients with a whisk.
Mix together the Wet Mix ingredients in a 2-cup measuring cup-- this works best with an immersion/stick blender.

Add the Wet Mix to the dry mix and stir with a spoon.  Then add the chocolate chips and nuts (if using).




Scoop the batter out with a 4 tsp. measuring spoon, slightly rounded, and drop a the dough "blobs" a couple of inches apart on the parchment-lined baking sheet, using a small silicone spatula to scoop the dough out of the spoon.

Bake for 6 minutes, 


then gently flatten each cookie a bit with a flexible stainless-steel slotted spatula (see below). 


Continue to bake for another 8 minutes.  Remove the baking sheet to a rack and cool for 5 minutes.  Then remove the cookies from the baking sheet to the rack and cool for at least another 10 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Facts (using the walnuts)  per cookie:
Calories: 134 ; Total Fat 8g; Saturated Fat 2.3g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 28mg; Total Carbohydrate 15.4g;  Dietary Fiber 1.4g;  Total Sugars 10.1g; Protein 2.1g; Calcium 9mg;  Iron 1mg; Potassium 58mg

Enjoy!





5 comments:

Linda said...

Look delicious. I remember trying to make chickpea flour cookies once and they burned! This looks great; I will give them a try soon.

Sorry to hear your feeling low energy, that's miserable. I think the new diet may be good in a way: you'll be doing lots of experimenting, yay!
But, truly, I wish you wellness and blessings.

Linda (one of your biggest fans,from a looong time ago!)

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thank you, Linda! Let me know how they turn out for you!

Beznarf27 said...

Hi Bryanna, welcome back! 12 years blogging? That's amazing! Thank you for all of your recipe shares and everything that you have done to share a healthy, delicious and comfort food vegan lifestyle with us all. I love your recipes as they are "real food" no carrot stick salmon around here, just good, wholesome and delicious food prepared with love by someone who actually does care. I love the look of these cookies. I have shared them with a friend who eats gluten free and who will seriously approve of these lovely treats. Again, thank you and welcome back! :) <3

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thank you, Beznarf27! Your kind words encourage me! All the best, Bryanna

Food write for us said...

thanks