Tuesday, March 8, 2011

REVISITING MEATLESS LOAF #1-- EASY ONION MEATLESS LOAF

Best Blog Tips


DH is always happy when I make meatless loaf.  Much as he loves any and all exotic food, spicy food, etc., I think he sometimes hankers for the simple foods of his youth, and meatloaf was a favorite.  Over the years (before working on the Field Roast cookbook-- which, before you ask, is in hiatus, but not abandoned!), I have devised 4 meatless loaves that we like, plus adapted a couple of other recipes.  (We don't like mushy meatless loaves; we like them to be at least reminiscent of the loaves of our childhood!)

Last night he wanted something like that for dinner, but I hadn't planned ahead (our company had just gone home and we were catching up on other things).  So I pulled out all of my older meatless loaf recipes.  I decided that I'm going to make one a week for the next month or so and see how we still feel about them!  I made the following one because it was the simplest and easiest and I didn't have much time.  It utilizes something I don't use often, but sometimes comes in handy for flavor-- vegan onion soup mix!  And it utilizes textured soy protein granules.  (Sorry, this is not soy or gluten-free!)

            NOTES ON TEXTURED VEGETABLE (SOY) PROTEIN:
Textured Vegetable (Soy) Protein (TVP® or TSP) is a low-fat, inexpensive dry product, used as a meat substitute. It is NOT the same thing as "hydrolized plant protein" or "soy isolate", and contains no MSG or other additives. It is made from soy flour, is cooked under pressure, then extruded to make different sizes and shapes.  Organic and solvent-free textured soy protein is available from:

1.) Bob's Red Mill Organic TSP, carries a granulated version only.  
amazon.com also carries it. So does veganessentials.com, which ships to Canada for a very reasonable price.

2.) Frontier Co-op sells unflavored organic textured soy protein-- amazon.com carries it.

3.) The Mail-Order Catalog carries a granulated version and a chunk version.
 **********************************************************************
I can't remember when I devised this particular, but it's definitely a busy cook's recipe (or a lazy cook's, maybe!) . I made it in a round tart pan because I wanted it to cook faster and cool faster.  (Cooling firms it up and I did this in the refrigerator this time to speed it up.  It didn't actually have to cool all the way before it become nicely firm, and I reheated it in the microwave.)  I served it with steamed broccoli and baked potatoes with my no-fat vegan brown gravy.
Next week we'll see if we prefer a different recipe, but, for now, we were pretty satisfied, and it was certainly quick and easy!





BRYANNA’S NEW VERSION LOW-FAT VEGAN ONION "MEATLOAF"

Makes 16 slices (9x5” loaf pan); 6-8 servings
This is quick, cheap and easy to make.  Use low-sodium soy sauce because the soup mix is salty.  Play around with the herbs, add spices, if you wish, etc. This recipe can be GF if you use a wheat-free soy sauce or tamari and GF oats.
NOTE: You can eat it right away, but meatless loaves are always better, taste-wise and texture-wise, if you chill them after cooking Then you can slice it up and reheat in the microwave or in the oven (covered) or by steaming, or serve it cold (good in sandwiches).  It's good with gravy or tomato sauce, etc..

A:
1 1/2 c. granulated textured vegetable/soy protein (TVP® or TSP) (see text above for organic)
1/2 c. rolled oats (old-fashioned oatmeal-- can be GF)
1 7/8 c. very hot water
2 T. lite (low-sodium) soy sauce 
1 (40 g or 1. 405 oz.) packet vegan onion soup mix (Frontier and Simply Organic are two organic brands; Lipton's and some no-name brands are vegan)
B:
1/2 c. minced celery
2T.- 1/2 c. minced parsley
herbs to taste-- I used about 1 tsp. EACH dried thyme and basil
1/2 c. ketchup(organic versions are available)
1/3 c. pure gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
(FOR GF VERSION: use a gluten-free plain baking flour mix containing vegetable gum such as xanthan or guar, homemade (here's one) or commercial, like Namaste Foods, Better Batter, Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Rice Blend,  Authentic Foods, or Glutino.)
freshly-ground pepper to taste

OPTIONAL TOPPING: ketchup or barbecue sauce to spread on top

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.   Mix A ingredients together in a bowl and cool in the refrigerator or freezer (reason: if you add gluten flour to a hot mixture it will get stringy).  Stir in B ingredients until well-mixed--  use your hands to get it really well-mixed.   



Pack the mixture into an oiled loaf pan (9x5"), or an 8” square baking pan or 9 or 10" tart pan. 


Spread optional ketchup or barbecue sauce on top of the loaf, if you wish.  




Bake 1 hour for a loaf pan, 45 minutes for square or round pan.  See NOTE above about serving.





Enjoy!



10 comments:

in2insight said...

Bryanna,
Thank you for another awesome recipe!
Would you by chance be willing to weigh in on the "Is TVP / TSP an unhealthy to damaging food" as some reviewers have noted on the Amazon.com site?
For now, I think I'll make this using the Soy Curls.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Insight, you could certainly use the SoyCurl crumbs" (at the bottom of the bag, instead of TSP/TVP, but as I mentioned in the post, you can buy solvent-free and organic TVP now. Otherwise, as I said, it is made from soy flour. But some people just seem to think everything soy is evil and they equate soy protein with "hydrolized soy protein", which it is not.

in2insight said...

Thank you very much to the quick and helpful response.
So the high heats used to produce these do not couse harm? I am a major fan of soy products, but there is so much data on both sides that it gets a bit overwhelming.

annie said...

hi bryanna!
i have followed your blog for so long, but this is my first comment.
coincidentally, i had every one of these ingredients in my pantry the other day- even the onion soup mix, which i bought to experiment with! thank you for the recipe- it was delicious, and the leftovers the next day were even more terrific.
thank you for all of your thoughtful and delicious recipes! i always look forward to your new posts.
xoxo,
a

Nancy G said...

Great recipe! First loaf recipe that really came out good for me and my other half even liked it! Thanks! Leftovers will be even better today!

Jill said...

Thank you for the great recipe! I lined the loaf pan with parchment so the meatloaf came out easily.

I put a picture here:
http://jillianbenson.tumblr.com/post/5178988337/vegan-meatless-loaf-from-vegan-feast-kitchen

Katie Gibbs said...

In case anyone is interested, I made a soy-free version of this meatloaf replacing the TVP with brown lentils. Here's the link: http://www.notyourparentsgranola.ca/2011/06/01/soy-free-meatless-loaf/

Katie

Anonymous said...

Very good loaf. I used dried minced onion, dried parsley and spicy ketchup - otherwise as written. Baked in square pan as my loaves always come out soggy in the middle when baked in a loaf pan. Still needed 10 extra minutes even though I used convection. Will make this often, varying the seasonings. Thank you fir delicious, easy and quick recipe.

Beth said...

I always love your recipes and this one came up when I typed tvp meatloaf. In these times of Covid-19 I don’t have access to onion soup mix. Any thoughts on substitutions. TIA.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Hi, Beth! Here's a homemade vegan "beefy" broth powder sub I found:
https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/seasoning-mix/diy-essentials-beef-bouillon-powder.html
I hope it works well!