Wednesday, July 7, 2010

WHAT TO DO WITH SOY CURL CRUMBS (OR SEITAN YOU DON'T LIKE MUCH!): VEGAN MURGHI KA KEEMA

Best Blog Tips

A tasty way to use those crumbs at the bottom of a box or package of Soy Curls™ (see below for the other option)! (Sorry about the lousy photo!)

I've used Butler Foods Soy Curls™ in several recipes on this blog. Here's a post with info on purchasing, storing and using them.  As I wrote in that post: "They are somewhat like dried textured soy protein, but superior in texture and also less processed. They are made from the WHOLE soybean, so they contain all the fiber, and have no additives or preservatives....When reconstituted in hot broth (which takes only 5 minutes or so), the strips are like tender chicken (though you could flavor them differently). (I usually reconstituted more than I am using at that particular time and freeze the remaining for really quick meals.) They are very versatile and wonderful for stirfries, casseroles, etc..."

I buy them in bulk-- 12 lbs in a large box.  12 lbs. may not sound like much, but it's ALOT of  Soy Curls™!  I usually split a box with a friend.  I end up with a couple of bags of Soy Curl "crumbs" which make their way to the bottom of the box.  They can be used in recipes that call for TVP granules, but hey are more tender and "chicken-like".  Sometimes I add them to soups and they are great for Chinese dumpling fillings!  These reconstituted "crumbs" could also be used in taco and enchilada fillings, cabbage rolls, white chili, lasagne, biscuit gravy, "chicken" salad or sandwich spread, spaghetti sauce, pasta casseroles, shepherd's pie, spring rolls,  fried rice, sloppy joes...

I reconstituted my last a batch of "crumbs" in boiling water and ended up with  about 7 cups reconstituted. I squeezed them pretty dry and mixed with 1/4 cup low-salt "chicken-y" veggie broth powder, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, then packed them in small quantities in zip-lock bags to freeze.  I made an Indian-style dish with a portion of them and it was delicious!  I'll share it with you below.

THE OTHER OPTION: Today I was checking my freezer for things that needed using up and found a bag of "ground chicken seitan".  Oh, I remember now-- I had made a recipe for seitan which I didn't really like, but hated to waste, so I ground it up in the food processor, froze it and forgot it. It was perfect for this dish, too, so, take your pick!

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S VEGAN MURGHI KA KEEMA (Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan)
Serves 4

This is not a pretty dish, but it's yummy and very quick and easy to make (under 10 minutes!).  We served it with brown basmati rice, tofu sour creme (commercial or homemade), and chutney.

1 Tbs. olive oil
1/ 1" stick cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 bay leaves
1 small onion (4oz.), chopped
3 cloves garlic , minced
2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
3 cups reconstituted and flavored Soy Curls™ "crumbs" OR ground "chicken seitan"  (see text above for both)
1 cup chicken-style vegetarian broth
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas -- lightly cooked or just thawed out with hot water and drained
1 tsp. garam masala (or curry powder-- more if you want it hotter)
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. cayenne (more if you want it hotter)
1/2 -3/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
freshly ground pepper to taste

Pour the oil into a wide cast iron or hard anodized aluminum skillet or carbon steel wok or stir-fry pan over medium-high heat.  When the oil is hot, add the cinnamon, cardamom, and bay leaves. Stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the onion.

Stir-fry until the onion pieces turn brown at the edges. Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds. Add the ginger and stir for another few seconds.

Now Add the reconstituted Soy Curls™ "crumbs" (or ground seitan), and the broth. Stir-fry until any lumps are broken up. Now add all the remaining ingredients.

Stir to mix and cook at high heat for another 2-3 minutes, stirring. The broth should be almost absorbed, but it should be moist.

Note: remove the whole spices - bay leaves, cinnamon stick - before eating.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, good. I have a container of Soy Curls crumbs that I was wondering what to do with. This sounds perfect. I like Indian flavoring. Thank you!

Jo

veghunter said...

hey great blog, enjoyed looking around. recently started my own if you would like take a look at www.veghunter.wordpress.com
keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

this was very yummy. my husband loves indian food and wants me to make this again! thank you for sharing!

Alocasia said...

This sounds fantastic. I've been wondering what I can do with all my soy curl crumbs.

Unknown said...

Can you do anything with the finer powdery stuff??

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Unknown... I haven't really worried about that, to tell you the truth. I haven't noticed much of it. I always order my soycurls in a large box, so they don't get jostled and squished as much as the packages, I guess. Perhaps it could be moistened and added to any sort fo homemade cutlets or patties or "sausages" that you might make at home.

MelB said...

I use the powdery stuff in soups. I don’t bother rehydrating it—just add it to the soup and add more liquid if necessary.