Thursday, October 15, 2009

THANKSGIVING LEFTOVERS

Best Blog Tips

That would be me!! (That's kind of a joke!)


Plate of Thanksgiving leftovers the day after-- clockwise from 6:00: vegetarian bread stuffing with sage and onion (recipe in my book The Almost No-Fat Holiday Cookbook); a Peruvian squash stew with corn and peas called Locro (Updaterecipe in my new book); my Soy and Seitan "Turkey" with vegan brown gravy (Update: gravy recipe in my new book and most of my other books); homemade cranberry sauce with oranges; Tofu Pot Pie (recipe in my book Soyfoods Cooking for a Positive Menopause); Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Moroccan Spices (Update: recipe in my new book) .

We had 18 people (all family) for our Canadian Thanksgiving dinner on Monday and I was so distracted that I forgot to take pictures until the next day! But, it was very much like years past, except for some of the side dishes. Don't get me wrong! It was great fun being with everyone. But I have been organizing a big fundraiser and I'm generally pretty distracted right now. (And also why I'm not blogging alot just now.) Besides the above items, we had some lovely whole wheat dinner rolls and an apple bundt cake that my oldest daughter Bethany made; mashed potatoes; pumpkin pie (my vegan recipe); a Persian-style brown rice pilaf with edamame (Update: recipe in my new book), a root vegetable stew (see recipe link below-- it was one of my picks for the #2 question in the Vegan Mofo Survey, "What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?") and a Brussels Sprout Slaw with mustard dressing and candied walnuts (see recipe link below). These last two recipes were from magazines and they were quite good-- I would make them again.

My vegan Pumpkin Pie (recipe in my book The Almost No-Fat Holiday Cookbook)-- pics from last year or before:





Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Moroccan Spices (Update: recipe in my new book)

Locro (Peruvian Vegetable Stew; Update: recipe in my new book)


The Brussels Sprout Slaw was a real hit! Everyone loved it! It's from the current issue of Bon Appétit magazine (Nov. 2009), and you can get the recipe here. It's really easy to make if you have a food processor with a slicer attachment-- otherwise, slicing those little sprouts so thinly by hand would be very tedious! The only changes I made were to use olive oil in the dressing, and I used walnuts instead of pecans because I didn't have any pecans.

Photograph by Elinor Carucci on the Bon Appétit website.

The Root Vegetable Stew with Herbed Dumplings was from Eating Well magazine and you can find the recipe here. I veganized it by using Tofurkey Vegetarian Italian Sausages (Field Roast Italian veggies sausages would be good here, too!) and vegetarian broth instead of chicken broth and it turned out very well.


I doubled the recipe, so I used a whole package of the Tofurkey vegetarian Italian sausages.

(I used carrots, Yukon Gold potatoes and beets for the root vegetables, and kale for the greens (the beets and kale were from our own garden). Here are pics of the stew in progress....

Just the vegetables for the stew cooking...

With the kale and veggie sausages added...

Ready to add the dumplings.....

I followed the directions pretty much to the letter, but I found that the instructions don't give you much information about how long to cook the stew before you add the dumplings. The dumplings only cook for 10 minutes, so you need to cook the vegetables until they are almost tender (especially the beets).



The stew with the dumplings on top.



I also didn't care for their dumpling recipe-- they came out too dry and heavy for my taste. I used Ener-G Egg Replacer powder and soymilk instead of the egg, and even added more soymilk, but, even so... Next time I will use my own Featherlight Dumplings...here's the recipe (double it for the stew recipe, and add the herbs in the Eating Well recipe):

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S FEATHERLIGHT DUMPLINGS
Servings: 8
Yield: makes about 8 dumplings


This recipe is from my first cookbook, "The Almost No-Fat Cookbook".

1 cup unbleached white flour (or use 1/2 white whole wheat pastry flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
OPTIONAL: rub in 1 tablespoon oil or Earth Balance
1/2 cup non-dairy milk

In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Rub in the Optional oil or Earth Balance with your fingers, if desired.

Stir in the soymilk to make a stiff dough.

Stir briefly just to mix. Drop small spoonfuls of dough on top of simmering stew or thick soup, cover tightly, and cook without peeking for 10 minutes. Test one dumpling to see if it's done in the middle before serving.

Note: You can add fresh chopped parsley or other herbs to the flour before mixing.

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving WITHOUT optional oil or Earth Balance)
: 61.9 calories; 4% calories from fat; 0.3g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 67.1mg sodium; 98.6mg potassium; 12.7g carbohydrates; 0.5g fiber; 0.4g sugar; 12.2g net carbs; 2.0g protein; 1.2 points.


Off to Pender Island this weekend! Have a good one!

9 comments:

Debra said...

It all looks so good. Our foster daughters dad is coming for Thanksgiving so we have been working on a menu already.
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Vegan Epicurean said...

Your menu sounds fabulous! I don't know how you find the time to make all those dishes. I hope you had help.

The brussel sprout slaw sounds really interesting. Thanks for highlighting the recipe from Bon Appetit.

Alicia

Sophia said...

That soup looks amazing! Just the the thing to warm someone up on a cold winter night.
I looove Thanksgiving leftovers.. That's a whole page full of mighty tasty foods.
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

furniture Toronto said...

Hi. All your dishes sound amazing! I'm not strict vegan but I'm not big fan of meet too and I'm always interested in every vegan recipe. We had also some of them for Thanksgiving but I couldn't avoid turkey. It's tradition in our family. However, thanks for inspiration at least for the next year Thanksgiving.

Good luck,
Ella

Kelly said...

That all looks delicious as always, but I'm a big fan of Thanksgiving leftovers so I'm biased. I love the sound of the recipes since I have so many sweet potatoes and squash on hand.

Cate said...

The stew and the pie look so good!
I am definately going to try your dumpling recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Søren said...

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Scandinavia but we're expecting company tomorrow night. I have a soy and seitan turkey cooking in the oven, stuffed with roasted hokkaido pumpkin, onion, apple, garlic and sundried tomato (with a dash of smoke). I will reheat tomorrow, packed in puff pastry and serve with grilled vegetables (cauliflower, green beans and peppers), mashed potatoes and gravy. It already smells wonderful from the oven! mmmmm ........

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Oh, that stuffing sounds divine, Søren! The whole meal sounds divine!!

Søren said...

If you hadn't been on the other side of the globe, Bryanna, you'd be more than welcome to join! After all, the 'turkey' is your recipe, and it looks goooood :)