Wednesday, July 1, 2009

VEGAN BARBECUE FOR JULY 1ST AND 4TH

Best Blog Tips

Happy Canada Day (July 1st), and Happy 4th of July! (I can celebrate both, as a dual citizen!) Both holidays are often celebrated with a barbecue. What can a vegan serve (or bring) that will knock the socks off the omnis? Read on! I'm sharing an idea for a vegan kebab and a killer homemade barbecue sauce.



Tofu Kebabs with peppers, mushrooms and onion. I had soaked the extra-firm tofu cubes in the Breast of Tofu marinade (this is in just about all of my books, or use the  marinade for Crispy Marinated Tofu Slices from my book "World Vegan Feast") for several days (the recipe is here, too), anticipating a meal such as this. I just threaded them on skewers with the veggies, slathered on my Bourbon BBQ Sauce (see recipe below) and grilled them, serving them on a bed of Basmati rice. (Or, alternately, you could serve them in some sort of flatbread, such as pita.)

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S SO GOOD (AND EASY) BOURBON BARBECUE SAUCE
Yield: About 3 1/4 cups

Jack Daniels is vegan, by the way!

2 cups ketchup (can be the organic kind)
1/2 cup molasses (your favorite)
1/3 cup bourbon whiskey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tbs vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (homemade recipe here)
1 Tbs Asian hot sauce (no fish) such as Sriracha
2 Tbs cider vinegar
2 tsp. paprika (can be a smoked paprika)
1 tsp. garlic granules
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. liquid smoke
(See info about liquid smoke here.)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Place in a covered jar and refrigerate.

Servings: 13

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per 1/4 cup):
96.1 calories; 2% calories from fat; 0.4g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 92.9mg sodium; 399.1mg potassium; 21.0g carbohydrates; 0.6g fiber; 15.9g sugar; 20.4g net carbs; 0.9g protein; 1.8 points.

© Bryanna Clark Grogan 2005

Enjoy the holidays!

5 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Looks like some great ideas! That Bar-B-Que sauce looks amazing! I am a total sucker for Bar-b que sauce!

Brenda W. said...

Christmas before last I made up about two dozen jars of this "South Carolina Gold BBQ sauce" and folks could NOT stop raving about it!! Several of them brought me back my empty jars, pleading for more!!

Another said she just used it as dipping sauce for anything she could think of ... even her fingers!!

It is so easy to mix up (even in quantity), and really tastes divine!!

veggievixen said...

this is such a great post! what classic recipes. thanks for the burger one--i have been wanting a good veggie burger recipe. all my experimentations seems to turn out badly.

spiceislandvegan said...

I have made all those and they are great! Thanks for reminding me of these recipes. I also love your Ginger 'Pork' patty or burger.

Happy 4th!

Debbie

Alice Leonard said...

I'm a crime novel fan, too! And I do enjoy the show Bones even if it's nothing like the books... do you know the lead actress is vegan? (Can't remember her name right now...)