Thursday, March 12, 2009

VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER SWIRL BROWNIES! (SF AND CAN BE GF)

Best Blog Tips

I love just about anything with peanut butter and chocolate together, and these brownies (actually pretty low in fat) are no exception. They are dark and rich-tasting. (If you are allergic to peanuts, substitute another tasty nut butter-- I would suggest roasted hazelnut butter.) These are easy to make!


Printable Recipe

BRYANNA’S VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER SWIRL FUDGE BROWNIES
(Soy-Free and can be GF)
Makes 16 squares

BROWNIE BATTER:
3 TBS. oil
3 TBS. boiling water
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. organic Dutch process cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 TBS. grated orange zest (organic, if possible— orange part only)
1/4 c. water
1 TBS. whole flax seeds OR 1 1/2 TBS. ground flax seed (flax meal)
1TBS. Ener-G egg replacer powder or Orgran No Egg (in my experience, other brands don’t work in this recipe)
1/2 c. regular whole wheat flour or unbleached flour (NOT pastry flour) OR a GF flour mix
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
PEANUT BUTTER SWIRL:
Mix together in a bowl:
1/2 c. natural peanut butter (or you could use other nut butters, such as hazelnut)-- use a brand that is fairly runny, not dry
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer or Orgran No Egg (see note above) beaten with
2 TBS. water
1 TBS. flour
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl mix together the oil and boiling water, then whisk in the sugar until dissolved. Whisk in the cocoa, vanilla and orange zest until well combined. Set aside.

Place the 1/4 c. water, flax seeds (or ground flax) and egg replacer in a blender or mix with a stick/immersion blender. Blend on high for several minutes, until the mixture is “gloppy” like slightly beaten egg whites, with little brown flecks of flax skin throughout. Fold this into the cocoa mixture.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and nuts. Add the flour mixture to the cocoa mixture and stir briefly.

Spread brownie batter in an 8” square baking pan, greased lightly with margarine or sprayed with pan spray or oil from a pump sprayer. (You can line the bottom with baking parchment, if you wish.)

Mix up the Peanut Butter Swirl mixture. Drop the mixture in 9 small “blobs” evenly spaced over the brownie batter.


Swirl the peanut butter mixture through the batter with a knife, as if making a marble cake.


Bake for 25 minutes.

Cool on a rack (yes, you have to wait!), then cut into 16 squares.

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per square):
165.6 calories; 34% calories from fat; 6.8g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 61.7mg sodium; 202.5mg potassium; 25.7g carbohydrates; 2.3g fiber; 18.4g sugar; 23.4g net carbs; 3.2g protein; 3.4 points.

Enjoy!


11 comments:

Alicia said...

I was going to go make these right now, but I don't have enough cocoa powder. How did I let myself get so low on a staple like cocoa powder? Oh well, soon. They look wonderful!

veggievixen said...

omg...so salivating!

definitely a favorite combo of mine.

mamafliz said...

you are my hero!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed them, Alicia!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look amazing! PB and chocolate is the absolute best flavor combo!

Unknown said...

I made these yesterday. This is hands down the *best* vegan brownie recipe I have ever tried, and I have tried many the last few years. These actually taste like brownies, other recipes I have tried either turn out like cake or like fudge.

Will definitely be making these again! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes!

ps I used only a tsp of orange zest instead of a tbl, to my tastebuds a little orange zest goes a long way :)

Brenda W. said...

Made these yesterday, Bryanna!! Absolutely FABULOUS!! Took them to work where they all disappeared (after the obligatory "I didn't know you could eat chocolate ... is that vegan?? sigh )

Maybe my peanut butter was too thick or something, but the mixture wasn't creamy, it was crumbly. So I just sprinked it all over the top, and had yummy crunchy peanut topping to these wonderful brownies!

I will definitely be making these again.

Thanks for sharing yet another wonderful recipe Bryanna!

Brenda W. said...

BTW .... I did not have any oranges, hence no orange zest. I used 1/4 tsp. orange extract, and that worked fine.

Great combo of flavors, Bryanna ... orange and chocolate!

Heather said...

I didn't have orange zest, so I had to omit that. Even without it, the brownies were the best I've ever had!! I couldn't believe vegan brownies could taste so good. Thank you for this recipe!!!

Kristina Krause said...

Can I use ground flaxmeal instead of flax seeds?

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Kristina-- yes, you can use flax meal, but, because ground flax has more volume than flaxseed, use 1 1/2 Tbsp. flax meal (ground flax seed). I'll add that to the recipe!