Sunday, March 15, 2009

HEMP-OAT MILK IN THE SOYQUICK PREMIER 930P (AND A TASTY ACCIDENT!)

Best Blog Tips Photobucket

In my post about making raw hemp milk, I mentioned using the soymilk maker to make a hemp milk that wouldn't separate so easily. I tried several batches before I got it to my satisfaction-- the results are below-- and it, indeed, does not separate as easily as the raw version. But it does eventually separate after standing in the refrigerator for a day or so. However, you can shake it up and it's just fine.

I had a little accident with one batch that I made, but, never one to waste food, I salvaged something good out of it! You can see that tale below the milk recipe!

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S SOYQUICK HEMP AND OAT MILK
Yield: 5 1/2 cups
This is a nice mild nondairy milk. You need the filterless  SoyQuick Premier Milk Maker 930P to make this milk.

5 1/2 cups water (up to the "minimum" mark in the SoyQuick container)
3/4 cup shelled hemp seeds (also called "hemp nuts")
3 tablespoons rolled oats (oatmeal)
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons organic sugar or agave nectar
IMPORTANT: IF YOU USE AGAVE NECTAR, DO NOT ADD UNTIL THE MILK COOLS OR IT WILL CURDLE! (see what happens below!)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add water , hemp seeds, and oats to the Soy Quick container. Attach the rest of the machine, plug in and press the "Multigrain" setting.

When it beeps, remove the grinding mechanism, etc:

Photobucket
You'll see a residue or hemp seed and oats on the blade protector, etc.

and pour the milk through a cloth inside of a colander placed over a pot (sterilize all equipment with boiling water).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Let it drain and then pull up the sides of the cloth, twist and squeeze until all the milk is in the pot and you are left with a small residue on the inside of the cloth (discard that).

Stir in the sugar and salt, pour the milk into a scalded glass jug or canning jars, cap tightly, and refrigerate.

IF YOU USE AGAVE NECTAR FOR THE SWEETENER, DO NOT ADD IT TO THE HOT MILK, OR THE ACID IN THE AGAVE WILL CURDLE THE MILK! WAIT UNTIL THE MILK COOLS OFF. (See what happens below!)

The hemp milk will probably separate after a day or so-- just shake it up before serving.

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per 1/2 cup):
70.1 calories; 46% calories from fat; 3.7g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 91.5mg sodium; 4.9mg potassium; 5.2g carbohydrates; 0.5g fiber; 2.1g sugar; 4.7g net carbs; 4.2g protein; 1.6 points.

OKAY, SO WHAT ABOUT THAT "ACCIDENT"?

With one of my test batches, I unthinkingly added agave nectar to the fresh, hot hemp milk and poured it into jars. This is what happened:

Photobucket

I instantly knew that that "citrusy" flavor I detect in agave nectar is acidity! Not one to waste food, I gently poured the contents of both jars (a little at a time) into the cloth lined tofu press that comes with the SoyQuick. However, the curds were very fragile, so I didn't want to press them. I gathered up the cloth after it had drained for a time in the sink, tied it with a rubber band and drained it on the end of the sink tap:
Photobucket

After it drained for several hours, I scraped it out of the cloth into a small bowl and was left with about 1/2 a cup of "hemp curd cheese":

Photobucket

I seasoned the curds with a little salt, garlic, and herbs and used it as a tasty spread:
Photobucket

This would probably not be worth doing on purpose very often, as the yield is meager and it would be fairly expensive. But it was certainly good!

Enjoy!

16 comments:

julie hasson said...

I can't wait to try it Bryanna! I really love that Soyquick machine.

I love your save with the curdled milk. Way to go!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Hey, Julie! Nice to hear from you!

I love that machine, too!

Kelly said...

I love that you made the most of the unexpected results. Very smart.

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

I have another question for you Bryanna. I have been looking at making milk alternatives with nuts or oats and I can't figure out how to determine the nutritional/calorie information for homemade versions of these milks. I know that you have to strain them, but that is where I get confused. Do you have any idea?

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

I have Living Cookbook software, Sarena, and use that for my nutritional facts. I counted the nutrients for only 1/2 cup of hemp seeds instead of 3/4 cup, hoping that would be about what is left in the residue. The residue is not much!

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

Thanks Bryanna, I figured that was pretty much how I would have to figure it out. It is kind of tricky when it comes to removing pulp! I have a ton of pecans that I was thinking of using, but I do watch what I eat (fats/calories) so it is important to me for it to be lowfat. Thank you for your help!

Anonymous said...

I added the remaining pulp to a tomato soup I was making, and it definitely gets the thumbs up: the creamy, thick, mild, pulp wasn't at all gritty when blended with the roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, and fried onion into a smooth bisque.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Great idea, Karen! That would probably work in any creamy soup. Thanks so much!

zdenka said...

Please, do you think I could make the milk with unshelled hempseeds?

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

zdenka, you could, but your milk would be green and perhaps have a different taste.

Zdenka said...

OK, I have tried and it turned quite well. Not greenish at all. In fact the shells stay in the sieve. I usually pass all the nut and seed milks through a coffee filter as well and there is still a lot of fine pulp left. But no in the case of hemp milk. It just go throuhg almost completely!
As for the taste I will have to wait till I buy some shelled seed (which I find a little bit expensive :-(

Only - now I am not sure - do you mean 3/4 of a regular cup (8oz) or of the cup that goes with the machine? Thanks for help!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Zdenka, Hi! I'm surprised it's not an odd color-- I've seen some commercially processed hemp milk that is an odd color, whereas the shelled hemp seeds make a pure white milk.

That's 3/4 of a regular 8 oz. cup. I wonder if you need to use more with the shells?

What did you think of the taste?

zdenka said...

We like your hemp milk recipe very much, thanks for the great idea! But please, do you have any suggestions for using the hemp-oat pulp? (other than putting it in the porridge...)

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

zdenka, you could try adding it to bread, or using it in spreads and dips, as it has a soft texture.

zdenka said...

Well, I already had hemp pulp from 4 batches...
Finally I tried some sweet cakes:
Dough - 250g flour, 1 1/2 TBSP baking powder, 30g finely ground coconut, 60g honey, 30g oil, 100ml water (liquids blended together first). Rest a while and roll in a tart form. Or any other pie crust.
Filling - 300g hemp-oat pulp, 3TBSP frucose vanilla sugar (but any sweetener should be fine) and 1TBSP maizena mixed in a little of cold water.
Bake for 20 minutes in 180-200°C preheated oven.
I could also send some photos :-)

have you already tried adding it to a bread? Isn´t it to moist?

Carol said...

It looks tasty! Now, who's going to say no to this delicious accident?