Tuesday, June 3, 2008

MISO PÂTÉ, TWO WAYS

Best Blog Tips


I promised to post a few more okara (the pulp left over from making soy milk) recipes (well, 2 anyway!), and I'm posting one here today, but I have to wait until I get some raw cashews so that I can make my other favorite okara recipe and take a picture of it! (PS: If you are lucky enough to live in a city or town with a soy milk and/or tofu maker or small factory, you can ususally purchase fresh okara from them.)

In any case, the following recipe contains a variation of a variation! The original recipe was from The Book of Miso, an amazing book by William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi. I revised it to my own tastes many years ago and my version (with credit to the original) was published in my book, The Fiber for Life Cookbook. It is one of the two variations below, along with the newer okara variation. Both versions are much more delicious than the humble ingredients suggest, and are wonderful on celery sticks, crackers, and crusty rye bread or French bread.


Printable Recipe

BRYANNA’S MISO PÂTÉ, TWO WAYS
Adapted from a recipe in my book “The Fiber for Life Cookbook”. This recipe updated on June 7, 2019.

#1) Fiber for Life Cookbook Variation:
2 cups fresh, soft whole wheat breadcrumbs (Use a light-textured whole wheat bread for the crumbs.)
1/2 cup water
4 geen onions, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
1/4 cup tahini
2 1/2 Tablespoons light miso
 pinch EACH of dried thyme, rosemary and sage
Optional: roasted (Asian) sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil
A bit more minced green onion and/or parsley to sprinkle on top

In a small bowl, mash the water and breadcrumbs together with a fork until the crumbs absorb all the broth. Mince the onion and garlic in a food processor. Add the other ingredients and process JUST until everything is mixed. (Don't process too long or the breadcrumbs will make it too gummy.) Pack into a small serving bowl, cover and refrigerate for AT LEAST one hour (preferably overnight) before serving. If you like, drizzle the top with a little roasted (Asian/dark) sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with more minced green onion or parsley before serving.

#2) Okara Variation:
1/2 cup fresh (soft, not dried) breadcrumbs (a light wholewheat is best; see above)
1 Tablespoon water
1 cup (squeezed) fresh okara
4 green onions, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
1/4 cup tahini
3 Tablespoons light miso
large pinch EACH of dried thyme, rosemary and sage
Optional: roasted (Asian) sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil
A bit more minced green onion or parsley to sprinkle on top

In a small bowl, mash the water and breadcrumbs together with a fork until the crumbs absorb all the broth. Mince the onion and garlic in a food processor. Add the other ingredients to the processor and process JUST until everything is mixed. Pack into a small serving bowl, cover and refrigerate for AT LEAST one hour (preferably overnight) before serving. If you like, drizzle the top with a little roasted (Asian/dark) sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with minced green onion or parsley before serving.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Speedwell said...

THAT looks GOOD. It must come out sort of cheesy/savory.

I wonder if it can be adapted to become a bit more substantial variety of mock chopped liver. Bet it can. Hmmm. [wanders off to think about it]

julie hasson said...

I love this recipe! It's definitely one of our favorites.

Thanks for posting it Bryanna, which is reminding me to make it.

Julie

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

This is really good! I don't like okara in baking either, so I've been drying mine and using the "nuggets" in granola, but it is great to have other recipes, especially ones that are this fast. The texture was a bit grainy, like crock cheese, so next time I think I'll try the crock cheez spices from Vegan Vittles with it. Thanks for the idea; you're always thinking up stuff that would never have occured to me--

trina said...

I made this tonight. It's quite pate-ish. I added 2 extra tablespoons of water to the food processor because it was having trouble coming together - my bread crumbs were probably pretty dry.

Thank you so much for posting this recipe - this is the perfect solution to the okara situation. Delicious!