Monday, September 10, 2007

ARTICHOKE, FENNEL AND POTATO STEW

Best Blog Tips


I'm crazy for artichokes. I grew up in California and in May, artichoke season, my mother would often just cook a platter of artichokes for dinner and we would just eat artichokes until we were full! We dipped the "meaty" part of the leaves and hearts (after scraping the "fuzz" away with the side of a spoon) in melted butter if they were hot, or mayonnaise if they were cold-- nothing fancy. By the time we were all satisfied, each of us would have a heaping bowl of artichoke leaves, scraped clean by our teeth, beside our plate. Heaven!

Yesterday I was admiring my jar of Kirkland Artichoke Hearts (PS: they have water-packed ones, too):



I had purchased two 65 oz. jars last time I made one of my very infrequent trips to Costco. They are so good--the marinade is delicious(not overly-acidic), and there are halves and quarters, nice and plump. I was trying to figure out a dinner to use up some things, a fennel bulb among them. So I came up with the following, in which I could make use of some of those nice marinated artichoke hearts that I was craving. We loved sopping up the tart juices with crusty bread!



Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S ARTICHOKE, POTATO, AND FENNEL STEW

1 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
32 marinated artichoke heart quarters in oil (or 16 halves), rinsed and drained
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
1/2 lb small red, white or yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedges
1 Tbs flour
1 spring fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 cups vegetarian "chicken-style" broth (or use my homemade broth powder)
1/2 lemon, sliced (with peel)
salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a small stew pot. Add the onions and garlic and stir-fry until the onions wilt. Add the artichoke hearts, fennel and potatoes, and stir-fry briefly. Sprinkle with the flour and stir. Add the herbs, and then stir in the broth. Add the lemon slices.

Bring to a boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lemon slices and cook 30 minutes more, or until the potatoes are tender. Taste for salt and pepper.

Serve with crusty bread.

Servings: 3

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving):
198.9 calories; 21% calories from fat; 5.0g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 127.2mg sodium; 1126.4mg potassium; 37.4g carbohydrates; 9.7g fiber; 1.8g sugar; 27.7g net carbs; 6.4g protein; 3.6 points.


Enjoy!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too LOVE artichokes--growing up they were always my request for my birthday dinner! I cannot get enough of them. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

This is a WONDERFUL recipe, Bryanna!! I was concerned it would be too tart for my tastes ... I don't really like tart/tangy dishes, but this is GREAT!! Once again, your combination of ingredients melded perfectly into a wonderful stew!!

Found some sourdough whole wheat crusty bread at our local bakery. Perfect combo!

Anonymous said...

That stew must be incredibly good. I'm due for a trip to Costco soon so I'll try the artichokes. Thanks !

I tried your "Chicken" Cutlets from Everyday Dish. O - MY - GOSH !
I was asked by my mom to make another batch for her. And she wants the dvd too LOL

I was wondering how you solved that Star brand mushroom cubes though because I really want to try the roast. Have you tried any of the other brands you recommended back in March?
And another question: I have finally bought a soymilk machine. Do you add B12 and other vitamins to your homemade soymilk ??

Anonymous said...

the word "dilemma" is missing from my comment above... oh well...

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Brenda!

Gaia, I don't add nutrients to my soymilk, but in the instructions on my website I tell you how to add calcium if you wish. I just take B12 every day (50 mcg) and some calsium, too.

About the mushroom broth, there is a blog entry about this here:
http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/03/homemade-mushroom-broth-and-some-things.html

and the same info is in the Ap May Jun 07 Vegan Feast on pps. 20-21.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bryanna.
Yes, I saw your blog about it (your March 1st post) but was wondering what you personally ended up using. The Knorr brand?
They are renovating their website right now though so I'll have to wait.

P.S. I'll renew my Newsletter subscription soon !

Carolann said...

Mhhh!!!!

Anonymous said...

I bought the 65oz jar of Costco artichoke hearts and would love to try these dishes but I'm am unable to open the jar. Any suggestions?

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

I take the tip of a table knife and prise it under the lid just enough to hear a little release of air, and then it open easily! I also use a small gravy ladle to remove as much of the oil as possible (it will rise to the top if you leave it alone for a while).