Sunday, July 16, 2006

CATS-IN-BOWL AND SOME YUMMY LOWFAT MEALS

Best Blog Tips Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ringo and Tina decided to curl up on the dirt in an unused planter!

I started on the Weight Watcher's Core Food plan the week of my son's wedding- probably a silly idea, but I actually did lose weight, even with the wedding and almost a week of company. The Core Food Plan is very flexible and easy for vegans. It actually does help me to stay on the plan, knowing I spent some money on this!

Here are a few things I've cooked up that conform with the Core Plan:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Some local beets and greens that I steamed (tossed the beets with no-fat balsamic vinaigrette); steamed local baby potatoes; extra-firm tofu that I dredged in seasoned ww flour and browned under the broiler, then cooked in broth and dry sherry, with green pepper, sundried tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, and just a smidgen of kalamata olives.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A bowl of romano beans (you could use pintos) that I cooked in chicken-style veggie broth with onions, garlic, celery, carrot, fresh sage and rosemary, pepper, and a couple of extra spoonfuls of my homemade veggie broth powder. Very yummy! I cooked some organic local cauliflower and our own kale in some of the broth and added it to the bowl.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Fritattine" (small fritatte, or Italian omelets) folded around browned mushrooms and potatoes (fat-free) with a little of my vegan "Gruyere" cheese melted on top (UPDATE: recipe in my book World Vegan Feast). I used my basic Fritatta recipe from my book "Nonna's italian Kitchen", but I only made 3/4 of the recipe and used 1 (12.3 oz.) box of extra-firm SILKEN tofu. I only added some basil to the basic batter.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It made 5 small omelets about 5-6" across. I cooked them in small nonstick skillets over medium heat, covered, for a few minutes, until they firmed on top and browned on the bottom, then flipped them over and cooked a few more minutes. They can be filled with all sorts of vegetable mixtures. This one was actually a little dry-- next time I would serve the potatoes on the side, I think.

In the book, the directions are to cook them on a baking sheet, which is actually more practical for a large amount, but I couldn't wait for the oven to heat up. The texture is better when they are cooked in the oven, but they were pretty good done on the stovetop.

Hope you're having a good weekend!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 comments:

KleoPatra said...

Good for you, Bryanna, on the Weight Watchers plan. Not a silly idea at all! I have friends on it and they love it. So good on you for doing it and glad you've found success. Kudos!!

Love Ringo and Tina gettin' all comfy together. How cute that is!

Have a great week, thanks for all the nice posts!

Anonymous said...

Geesh, these dishes look incredible by any standard! I wouldn't even think they were lowfat or "diet" food.
Bryanna, you are so good at making lowfat, fewer calorie dishes.
These look delicious.

spiceislandvegan said...

Hi Bryanna,

Yes, I love that 'Fritatta'. I made it with red bell pepper, broccoli, onions, etc. It is a Core recipe and I made it when I was in Core. I really have to go back to the program. Can't wait for the new newsletter and use that to go back to my WW. I have been bad for about 4 weeks. :-)

SIV

Dori said...

I love these complete meal ideas. Thanks!