Tuesday, May 30, 2006

CORN QUESADILLAS

Best Blog Tips
On the right, quesadillas filled with leftover Seitan "Steak" au Poivre, my Vegan "Gruyere", and baby spinach

On the left, Vegan "Gruyere" and Mango Quesadillas

On Monday I had a thing about quesadillas. I had breakfast late and I took a couple of corn tortillas out of the freezer. I know, flour tortillas are supposed to be the thing for quesadillas, but I really love corn tortillas. I topped one with slices of my homemade Vegan "Gruyere" (but you could use any vegan "cheese") and fresh mango slices, topped it with another corn tortilla, and then pan-grilled it on both sides in a nonstick pan. I ate it with some storebought corn and tomato salsa...very satisfying.

By the time I was hungry for lunch, I still craved tortillas, so I took a couple more out of the freezer, but this time I sliced one of my leftover Seitan "Steak" au Poivre in half horizontally and paired it with more of the Vegan "Gruyere" and some baby spinach leaves.

I grilled it the same way. Because the "steak" was so peppery, I didn't need salsa with it.

There you have it...nothing dramatic; quick, easy, tasty, healthful. What do you like in quesadillas? Do you prefer corn or flour tortillas?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

In our house, we always used corn torts when I was growing up! I think corn is traditional and flour is Americanized quesadillas :)

primaryconsumer said...

I prefer corn tortillas anyday.

Anonymous said...

My preference is the flour tortillas. I like that they are more flexible ... when rolled or folded they don't tend to crack at the fold. That said, as mentioned the corn ones ARE more flavorful than plain white ones. But I usually get the flavored ones ... jalapeno, basil/herb, sundried tomato, etc.

harlemgrrl said...

the steak/spinach/cheese looks so tasty, i hope the seitan au poivre recipe is in the next newsletter. would make a great vegan summer bbq treat, yum.

and although i really like both kinds, i slightly prefer soft and chewy flour tortillas.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

harlemgrrl, the "steak" and "steak" au poivre recipes will be in the next newsletter!

Anonymous said...

oh bryanna, thank you for this. I've recently realized that I have a wheat intolerance, and white flour tortillas are a big no-no for me. I can't have the seitan (essential wheat gluten) but the corn quesadilla opens up a lot of options for me!

thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I love fresh corn tortillas, but for quesadillas I usually use whole wheat flour tortillas. My favorite filling is the following (also a spectacular combination for nachos, with blue corn chips):

Black beans
Finely diced jalapeƱos (from the jar, not fresh)
Marinated artichoke hearts
Sliced kalamata olives
Vegan mozzarella cheese substitute

The flavors are all really strong but go together surprisingly well, especially with a nice creamy vegan mozzarella. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Why did I not know you could freeze tortillas? Duh! Brilliant!

Crystal said...

I just learned how to say Gruyere, now I will have to learn how to make vegan Gruyere. I love quesadillas! Check that...I love eating food.

Ryan

harlemgrrl said...

the "steak" and "steak" au poivre recipes will be in the next newsletter!

my picnic basket says thank you :)

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

reluctant vegan-- thanks! Even if you are only 25 or something thereabouts, you might like to check out "Soyfoods Cooking for a Positive menopause" just for the recipes! Or "Nonna's Italian Kitchen". Or you might like to subscribe to The Vegan Feast Newsletter, where all my new stuff is.

harlemgrrl said...

reluctant vegan,

in the (unsolicited) opinion of a totally biased vegan foodie, take bryanna's advise and in addition to the newsletter go for nonna's kitchen.

mmm, bruschetta, scaloppine alla marsala w/cappellini, and lemon tart

:::drools:::

it's even my omni bf's favorite cookbook (for me to cook from of course, but still...)

Anonymous said...

You can't go wrong with any of Bryanna's books; but I say start with Nonna's too!