Sunday, May 21, 2006

WEEKEND COOKING CLASS

Best Blog Tips
Farfalle Salad with Pecan Pesto and Rustic Kale and Butternut Squash Savory Tart ( recipe in my book World Vegan Feast) with a crispy, low-fat olive oil crust

I spent my weekend cooking. Three lovely, lively women from Vancouver, a mother and two daughters (one vegan), came to Denman Island and rented a beautiful house, where I taught two half-day classes in quick and easy vegan meals. Saturday afternoon we made Asian-Fusion dishes for dinner, and this morning we made Mediterranean-style dishes for lunch. Most of the recipes were from past issues of the Vegan Feast newsletter, with a few from my books and one brand-new dessert. It was really fun, but, boy, do my feet hurt! And I still have to unpack some of the stuff I brought over there-- had to take half my kitchen with me!

You never know what to expect, though. We had some trouble with the (pretty new) Jenn-Air stove, the burners of which would NOT get hot enough, so today I brought one of those little Chinese butane wok stoves and that really helped speed things up! They get really hot in a hurry.

Here's the menu from Saturday:

Thai-Style Coconut and Red Lentil Soup
Thai Cabbage Salad
Malay-Style Yuba (Beancurd Skin) and Daikon Curry


Creamy Thai Basil “Chicken” (with Soy Curls™)


Singapore Noodles


and Tahu Goreng (Indonesian Spicy Tofu) (both recipes in my book World Vegan Feast)


Brown jasmine and Thai red rice in rice cooker
Key Lime Bars (I have to wait for one of the ladies to send me a picture of these-- I didn't get one on my camera...darn!)

The menu from Sunday:


Rustic Greens and Butternut Squash Savory Tart (picture above, recipe in my book World Vegan Feast)
Farfalle and Veggie “Chicken” Salad with Pecan Pesto
Breast of Tofu with Sundried Tomatoes, Artichokes, and Kalamata Olives
Scaloppine alla Marsala (made with my quick Soy and Seitan Cutlets, that we also made in class)
Grilled Eggplant and Red Pepper Panini with Soy Cheese and Greens
Baby Greens and Portobello Mushroom Salad and Balsamic Vinaigrette


Sweet Cornbread with Orange Yogurt Sauce and Strawberries

5 comments:

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Mmm... I love butternut squash tart.

Susan Voisin said...

Bryanna, all this food is simply amazing! Everything looks wonderful. I think I need to take your class!

veganmum said...

This really makes me think I've got to get myself to the west coast, Bryanna! It looks delicious, all of it!

Krista

Anonymous said...

you're a cooking machine! I hope you made lots of leftovers so you can take some time off and relax!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, everyone! Megan, unfortunately (for me)all the leftovers were packed and taken back to Vancouver, which is certainly part of the service if students want to do that. Last night we ate a 10-minute Pasta alla Puttanesca from my Italian cookbook, with some fresh chard and French bread.