Monday, June 22, 2009

GREENS GALORE!

Best Blog Tips Italian kale from our garden patch

I have to tell you that DH and I are NOT gardeners! We both don't like gardening much (I'm almost afraid to admit that around here!), and our soil is very rocky, but DH has made a fertile little patch and then we grow some hot-weather plants in pots on our back deck-- enough to keep us in fresh greens, herbs, and tomatoes for the summer and fall, with a few things in the freezer.

Below are some photos of our VERY modest little veggie patch, and potted plants on out back deck.




A view of some of the plants on the deck (tomatoes, peppers, basil, parsley, etc.)


Basil!

More greens:
Beets

Chard

Russian kale

While I'm at it, here are some views of the woods and greenery around our house:

View from the back deck


View from the living room window

**Back to the eating sort of greenery-- I picked a big bowl of mixed greens the other day and at the same time made a batch of my lower-fat guacamole, and then I had to figure out something to do with them that didn't involve tortillas or tortilla chips (which I didn't have on hand). So below is what I came up with, and it was good!

Below that are some family photos.:)


Masa Crepes with Green Filling, Topped with Black Bean and Corn Salsa and Lower-Fat Guacamole (UPDATE: the recipe will be in my new book coming up at the end of  August 2011!)



And now, proud Nonna has to show off a little!


My granddaughter H. at her piano recital.

5-year-old grandson L., seen here playing swordsman, is now reading whole books by himself!


Here he is playing hockey for the first time:


Two more granddaughters (who are stepsisters, one already 10 and one about to be 10) got their yellow belts in tai kwon do on Saturday:


Going through their paces:



F. doing her high kick.


M. doing her high kick.

Proud moment!

F. on the far left, and M. on the far right.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

veggievixen said...

wowie zowie, that's a lotta green stuff! isn't it so happy when things start growing? happy gardening.

i've always wanted to work with masa harina but haven't had the chance yet. thanks for the great recipe!! i tried to make guac with silken tofu once and it turned into a mushy, weird-tasting mess.

Alice Leonard said...

If you and Brian aren't gardeners, then you're doing really well - it all looks very lush and green and delicious! I loved the photos of your grandkids, too, you must be very proud.
Best wishes, Alice

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

thanks so much, Alice! BTW, I see you have a pavlova recipe on your website-- I am going to try that next!

Anonymous said...

Wow--for someone who does not like gardening, your gardens look pretty darn amazing! I am jealous :o)

Can't wait to try the guac recipe!

Courtney

Koekkener said...

Wow, what a very delicious food. I felt that I am hungry.

La Tea Dah said...

I enjoyed the pictures of your grandies and their activities. Granddaughter H. looks like she may be a Suzuki Method piano student. Such memories for me --- as our sons were taught by that method as well. Recitals were always a highlight.

LaTeaDah
www.gracioushospitality.com