Saturday, August 16, 2008

BIG CHEWY, WHOLE GRAIN CHOCOLATE CHIP & PECAN COOKIES

Best Blog Tips

As you might have noticed, I haven't done many desserts lately. I'm trying not to eat them very often! However, last night, despite the heat, I had a craving for a big, chewy cookie with chocolate chips and whole pecans in it. So I made my recipe for chocolate chip cookies from my book "The Fiber for Life Cookbook" (it contains less fat than most recipes and is made with wholegrain flours), but I made fewer, larger, thicker cookies  (these cookies are NOT low-calorie, so one is plenty!). I used Camino organic, fair trade chocolate chips and whole pecan halves. You could use chunks of your favorite vegan, organic, fair trade chocolate bar  or baking squares instead, if you wish.

I baked a small batch of them in my little countertop Cuisinart Brick Oven and it was just what I was craving! I baked the rest of the cookies early this morning, while it was cool in the house.

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S BIG CHEWY, WHOLE GRAIN CHOCOLATE CHIP & PECAN COOKIES
Yield: 16 large cookies  (Updated Aug 17, 2019)

6 tablespoons vegan butter-y spread (not whipped)-- try my palm oil-free vegan "Buttah"
3/4 cup light organic granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water blended for several minutes with
2 tablespoons flaxseeds
(this makes a "gloppy" mixture like eggs-- use a blender)
2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
DRY MIX:
3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
ADDITIONS:
1 cups semisweet (or bittersweet) dark organic chocolate chips
1 cup pecan halves

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with cooking parchment. Beat the vegan butter, sugars, flaxseed egg replacer mixture, non-dairy milk, and vanilla in a food processor or with an electric mixer until smooth.

In a medium bowl, mix the Dry Mix ingredients, whisking thoroughly. Add the processed mixture and and the chocolate and pecans, and mix well to make a firm dough. Chill the dough (covered) until firm enough to handle.

Cut the dough into 16 equal pieces, and roll them roughly into balls with damp hands. Place 8 on each cookie sheet, leaving space between. Press them down to about 3/8" or 1/2" thick. Bake 10 minutes, then turn the pans around from front to back (and, if necessary, shift the ones on the lower shelf to the top and vice versa) and bake 10 more minutes.

Remove from pans and cool on racks. Store airtight after cooling thoroughly, and  freeze if you aren't using them up within a day or two. Low-fat cookies don't keep as well as the high-fat variety.




Enjoy!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I can't wait to try these!

I had a cookie craving last night and fortunately, my 8 year old son too. He had made up a recipe for a CC cookie that he wanted to try and so he did that last night. They were pretty good!
I'll be sure to show him your recipe.

Thanks Bryanna!

Alisa said...

Those look soooo good!

julie hasson said...

The cookies look great Bryanna!

Melody Sage said...

Hi Bryanna, these cookies look delicious! I already have several of your wonderful cookbooks, now I will have to purchase Fiber for Life. I have followed Notes from a Vegan Feast Kitchen for a long time and was too shy to comment, but I wanted to let you know you are on the link list of my new blog.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, guys! They are now all gone!

Melody, you have a lovely blog! I have to try that ice cream recipe! BTW, try tapioca starch in ice creams-- it is excellent for frozen desserts.

Melody Sage said...

Thank you so much Bryanna. You are so nice! I will have to get some tapioca flour and experiment.