Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, March 23, 2015

MY HOMEMADE COLLOIDAL OAT SKIN CREAM, UPDATED

Best Blog Tips
MY HOMEMADE COLLOIDAL OAT SKIN CREAM
NOTE:I have slightly altered my recipe so that it is a bit more solid. April 6, 2016

I know this is a food blog, but I just have to share this skin cream recipe with you-- actually, though you wouldn't really want to eat it, it wouldn't harm you to do so!

I have an off-and-on problem with eczema, and it's been "on" for the last few years.  It's better since I got rid of all detergents and palm oil from my life (there are detergents in SO many things-- shampoos, conditioners, etc-- and many of them derived from palm oil). I don't use anything scented.  I won't go into everything I do or use, or have tried, but, suffice it to say that I've done extensive research and that I prefer not to use cortisone creams (having had a bad rash from one in the past).

Lately, I've been using ground oatmeal and warm water as a facial scrub and it always feels really nice after that.

So I have been reading and watching videos about the benefits of colloidal oatmeal-- which is really just finely-ground oatmeal boiled with water to extract the colloidal material. Basically, it boils down to this: "The many clinical properties of colloidal oatmeal derive from its chemical polymorphism. The high concentration in starches and beta-glucan is responsible for the protective and water-holding functions of oat. The presence of different types of phenols confers antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. Some of the oat phenols are also strong ultraviolet absorbers. The cleansing activity of oat is mostly due to saponins. Its many functional properties make colloidal oatmeal a cleanser, moisturizer, buffer, as well as a soothing and protective anti-inflammatory agent." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17373175

There are many commercial products that contain colloidal oats (see this article), but most of them have some ingredients that I find objectionable, and they can be very expensive.  So, I did some research, and looked up lots of homemade recipes.  Many had expensive and even hard to find ingredients.  So, I just went for it yesterday and made my own cream with what I had around the house.  I ground rolled oats to a fine powder-- much cheaper than buying colloidal oat powder to make colloidal oatmeal-- it's the same thing!

I'm so pleased with the results!  The cream was easy and cheap to make and feels wonderful on the skin-- it doesn't feel greasy, it just makes the skin feel soft.



BRYANNA'S HOMEMADE COLLOIDAL OAT SKIN CREAM
Updated on April 6, 2016
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Keep refrigerated between uses.
Note: This recipe can be cut in half, if you prefer.

1/2 cup very finely-ground oatmeal (best ground in a clean dry small electric spice mill to a powder, or in a home grain mill, or a dry high-speed blender)
2 cups water
4 tablespoons shea butter
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (OR any mild oil that works for you!)
1 teaspoon soy or sunflower lecithin (this is an emulsifying agent)
(NOTE: If you don't have lecithin, or can't use it, try using 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon or guar or xanthan gum instead.)
1000 mg vitamin C tablet, crushed to a fine powder (for preserving qualities)

Whisk the oat flour/powder and water together in a medium pot or deep (2 qt.) microwave-safe measuring beaker or bowl (it boils over easily).  Either stir it on the stovetop until it comes to a boil, then turn down, cover and simmer for 20 minutes OR (my preference) microwave at high power for 5 minutes.  Either way, it should result in a thick "glop".

Strain the "glop" through a fine mesh strainer into your blender-- push it through the strainer with the back of a spoon.  

Melt the shea butter over low heat in a small pot, or on half power in a small microwave-safe vessel, in one minute increments.

Pour the olive oil, melted shea butter, lecithin and crushed vitamin C into the oat "glop".  Blend until it is creamy and emulsified.  Place in 2 scalded pint jars with tight lids and refrigerate. It will firm up when cooled. Keep refrigerated between uses.


Enjoy!



3 comments:

Fireweed said...

Anytime you need any sheanut butter Bry, just let me know and I'll be happy to give you some! I use an unprocessed butter so it's scent-free...unlike my salves to which I normally apply a couple of drops of organic essential oils.

Teresa said...

I tried this and it was amazing! I love oat skin cream. I am very into organic and natural living. I started a purely vegan diet last year, and because I am one that really enjoys flavor, I have gotten very creative and learned a lot. I feel healthy and that is always a good thing.

Teresa @ Centre D'elle

Shaun Paul Wallace said...

Bless you for this marvelous recipe
Thank you.